Rod knocking? lmao fml.... - Page 5 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, people who bypassed it reported improvement in bike behavior. Their reason is because the pump will sometimes pump in air along with the fuel when the tank is being sloshed around.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

The sun's shining, the birds are chirping; it's a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM

Redirecting here's a thread on replacement fuel pumps.
Shawn855 likes this.
post #43 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[QUOTE=nick57;1016708][url=http://www.google.com/url?q=http

Thank you.

Btw , not sure if it changes anything or gives a hint on what it can be, but I now remember that my bike has been doing this odd characteristic of running blah every now and then since I got it. I remember it's been this way since the beginning because I would notice that my shifting of gears was a little more ...less smooth...than other days. And sure enough the last few days, first thing I noticed asides from the poor performance is how it's not shifting into gear as smooth as other days. Specifically this weekend when my bike ran amazing. It shifted into gears perfectly and had nice and full power.

I'm not writing this to add more confusion. I'm just basically making a note of it here, so that when I try the fuel pump bypass, and oil change to thicker oil, and possibly TPS replacement (yes I adjusted it to spec but it was pretty wonky to begin with so it could be faulty) , then at least I can look back and realize maybe it's transmission related. And that's a can of worms I'm not opening. I'll just accept it for what it is and just drive it knowing it performs fine on some days and meh on other days.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:12 PM

your in ontario i would keep the 10/ 40 unless it's going to stay in the 80s. i'm across the lake in erie and i run 20 50 in the heat of the summer. you should be 2 turns out with stock bike. my bike came stock at 1 3/4 out.i would recheck the valves altho there probably ok. and go over the carbs again. check .rubber caps..check clutch adjustment i never heard of shifting problems.
post #45 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
your in ontario i would keep the 10/ 40 unless it's going to stay in the 80s. i'm across the lake in erie and i run 20 50 in the heat of the summer. you should be 2 turns out with stock bike. my bike came stock at 1 3/4 out.i would recheck the valves altho there probably ok. and go over the carbs again. check .rubber caps..check clutch adjustment i never heard of shifting problems.
Okay on the oil part!

I had the bike initially at 2 turns out and it ran so much better on the day I turned them out a quarter turn extra. I can check the valves again just to make sure since it's been a week or two since I adjusted them

I don't think it's a clutch cable because it only shifts rougher when my actual power loss happens. They are hand in hand together. When it runs good, it shifts good. When it runs poor, it shifts poor.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #46 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Let's think about this logically. What would cause a slight power loss randomly in a motorcycle. Since the day I got it 3 months ago. Which means all the work I did, made no difference for better or for worse.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #47 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And when I say randomly, I meant random as in one day it seems fine and the next it's not fine. It doesn't change performance on the fly. Only daily it seems.

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #48 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn855 View Post
And when I say randomly, I meant random as in one day it seems fine and the next it's not fine. It doesn't change performance on the fly. Only daily it seems.

Iíve had this with spark plugs and ignition coils. How new are the plugs? Contaminants anywhere such as fuel filter etc. Plug fouling can vary ride to ride, where any solid contaminants land after a ride. Just brainstorming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #49 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty8613 View Post
Iíve had this with spark plugs and ignition coils. How new are the plugs? Contaminants anywhere such as fuel filter etc. Plug fouling can vary ride to ride, where any solid contaminants land after a ride. Just brainstorming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spark plugs are 2 weeks sold. I've checked them a few times since and they are looking spot on. Good call on the ignition coils though. I'll add this to the list of things to replace. I literally have a list in my phone lol. So far on the list:
-fuel pump bypass
-TPS replacement
-Carb sync (Haven't synced them again after adjusting the mixture screws out a quarter turn but the bike ran great that entire day so I don't think the carbs magically got out of sync to the point of power loss) but still worth a look.
-ignition coil

Things done so far in regards to loss of power:
-new air filter
-carb intake boots serviced
-new oil (10w40)
-new fuel filter
-new spark plugs
-compression test (155psi each cylinder)
-carbs cleaned (twice!)
-new final drive oil
-air induction system removed

She will be a new bike by the time we figure this out!

2003 Vstar 1100 Custom

post #50 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM
KCW

Garage
Bypass the fuel pump, keep the fuel filter inline

fill the tank and ride it 50 miles at a time, refilling it so the tank stays mostly full (only down a bit over a gallon). Pretend you have a HD with a peanut tank for a week O_o

If you can put 200 miles on it over a few days with no issues, it was the fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode