Advice with new mods 950T - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Advice with new mods 950T

Hello Everyone

Just ordered my Corba FI2000r Closed loop fuel management for my 2010 v star 950T.
Not looking forward to feeding the wires and connecting the wires to the ports judging what others have posted. Sounds like its a real pain to get everything connected with out removing the gas tank.
Also considering the air box mod (drill some holes in the oem box) until I get a full open air one.
Any thing else I should consider. My bike came with the Vance and Hines exhaust already which I love!!

Has anyone else done these two mods and seen performance gains? I am doing this because I ride two up a lot. I am hoping this makes 75 mph cruising with the extra weight less of a strained endeavor for my 950. It just feels like it needs more power to keep happy at those speeds.
Not sure if I am alone.

Appreciate any input from you guys.

Best regards,
Keith Post likes this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Garage
Several of us 950 owners have done upgrades. Personally I started off with a Cobra slip on muffler and a k&n air filter with holes drilled in it for better airflow.
I had minimal gains and loved the sound of the Cobra.
I followed that up with when finances allowed, a LA Choppers XXX open air filter kit and a fuel management system from Cobra. The open air filter kit gave me the most significant gains through all the gears. Bone stock when I hit 75mph, it seemed to struggle. After the open air filter kit, I took it out on the interstate riding two up and looked down and hit 85mph without any effort.
My final upgrade was going with true dual exhaust, and boy did I like the sound! I lost a slight amount of torque, but it was worth it for the looks and sound. I also wrapped the exhaust in header wrap to cut down on the heat.
The 950ís come very lean from the factory and theyíre assembled in SoCal and have to meet strict EPA guidelines. Once theyíre opened up some, theyíre quite different. Some people have the ECU flashed with mixed results, and if you go that route, make sure you have all the mods in place. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tip Keith. After installing the Fi2000r O2 I noticed some minimal gains as you said through out the power curve. I am still trying to find the right pot, so I think that may have something to do with it. I think mine is set for 2.5/5/4. Maybe a little more tuning it could be better. I think per your recommendation I will just end up buying the LA customs Air filter for better performance out of this thing. I will say with the stock Air box and K and N filter, the biggest difference I have seen is how smooth it is at idle and 0 to 10 mph. Feels like the way the bike should have came from the factory. No more jolting when slowly applying the throttle. Who knew Id be more impressed with daily driving ability then WOT performance with this Corba tuner. lol

Some notes on installation to anyone looking to do this. Be careful not to strip the allen screws for the tank. They look very easy to do. I think I stripped one when putting it back on. (leave that for a future problem, its tight for now)
As many mention you can lift the tank, just remember there is a small tab at the bottom end keeping it from tilting fully, make sure you slide the tank slightly to the right so it can come free.
The tabs are a pain to get too but Its not the end of the world difficult, just try and find the green connectors on the intake manifold. (tip; google what the intake manifold looks like before going into the job like I did.)
My system was a closed loop, the o2 sensor could not have been easier to plug in. Just runt the wire down and plug it in and use the clamp for the OEM cord and your done.

There isn't a great place for the FI2000 to stick too with the provided Velcro. It fits well to the right of the battery. It doesn't have the most real estate int the world for putting stuff under the seat. But it does fit fine none the less. My solution was to use a zip tie for the cord right before it goes into the module and tie it to the frame. Keeps it secure and you still have perfect access to tuning.

Over all I think it was about an hour to an hour and a half not including pissing through a tank of gas trying to find what pots work best.

Now comes the decision to buy the LA customs air box or something else.

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy this cobra tuner or installing one.

Please free to chip in the comments what air intake you have or which pots you think I should run.

Best regards,
bevo1981, Keith Post and lesblank like this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

i also have the LA Choppers XXX air kit. you can hear the air getting sucked in like a hoover vacuum. i think my pot settings are currently at 1.5/3/2.
Keith Post likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:10 PM

Garage
You are very welcome! Iím glad itís working for you. Until you get an unrestricted air filter kit, you may want to back your last two pots down just a tad, but youíll definitely have to experiment some. I run ethanol free fuel exclusively. Iím fortunate that itís readily available locally. Running premium Iíve found is just money wasted, no difference in performance. Keep us updated when you find an air filter kit, and definitely shop around. I found mine $100 less than everywhere else.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Per both of your recommendations... I have ordered my LA Customs XXX air intake. Looks dead simple to install. Hopefully I can feel a better power difference when it is installed. This tuner was deff made for having an intake because the manual says dont change the first pot from 2.5 yet when I leave it at 2.5, the bike tries to stall it self like its running too rich. Ive tuned down to 2/4/3 and it seems to run a little better. Power delivery still feels minimal. But idol doesn't feel like its trying to stall itself.

Either way , it wont be a problem soon.

Brevo - Im surprised you have your pots so much lower than I had expected for soemone to have with a full exhaust and intake. Can I ask what made you go down on the pots. Was it additional mods?
Still new to this whole pot tuning thing. Ive only used tunes that have been downloadable.

Best,
Keith Post likes this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Garage
Iím looking forward to you updating us after you install it and re-adjust the pot settings.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Interesting changes. LA custom intake installed. Could have been easier. Changed the pot settings multiple times but I think I have found the perfect settings.

Pot 1- Manual says 2.5 is best, and I think they are right.

pot 2- (mid range) This was the most difficult to set. I was all over the place. from 2 to 7 and It took me multiple long drives to find what was best. Right now I am pretty happy with 5.5 setting. 6 was a bit blubbery and 5 felt like it lost some power.

I do notice though when I am over 3 pot setting or more that at mid rpms I hear some valve noises coming out of the intake. No tach so Id guess maybe 2800 - 3500 rpms (I can tell the noise is coming from the intake cause I have my head next to it in an open parking lot while driving in 3rd gear) and I dont mean the whooshing noise that big intakes make.
Is this normal for anyone else? Maybe I need a valve adjustment?

Pot 3 - have it at 3 and it seems to work really well. Tried 4 and it seemed blubbery again.

Im hopping this noise is normal. With all of these setting the bike runs extremely well. Figured it if it was a bent valve I would feel irregular performance.

Thanks everyone for the intake suggestion. Looks fantastic on the bike.
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
Thanks for updating us, glad to hear you have the settings where you want them. The middle one for me was also the most difficult.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Keith

Did you have more mechanical noise not just the air sound coming from the intake when you installed it. Also what middle pot setting did you end up with. today I rode it for getting Lunch and Im thinking now maybe the third pot should be a little higher.. As I said I am all over the place... Im worried if I go too high i will damage the engine..
Keith Post likes this.

2010 V Star 950 Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode