Smell like oil slick after riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By percy072
  • 2 Post By percy072
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Smell like oil slick after riding

ok odd question here but...does anyone else notice a smell of oil on or around yourself after riding for a while??? Is there any way to minimize this, and/or what could be happening to cause this?? there are no oil or gas leaks at all.

"There are seven day's in a week...someday isn't one of them"
08' Star 1100 Custom, Hypercharger, Viking Lamellar's, full Cobra Classic's...(still tinkering)
07' FZ1 Reflashed, GYTR pipe, stoopid fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:41 PM
KCW

Garage
Do you have a windshield on the bike?

If they are not adjusted (tilt) just right it can cause the exhaust from your tailpipe to backdraft into the still air you are riding in.

I notice it when I put the WS on my 650, when its below 50F in the late fall and early spring - mostly catch the exhaust smell when I stop and speed up again. It can take a half mile or more for the captured exhaust to dissipate.

If you dont have a windshield its possible you have an exhaust leak near the heads, and its doing the same thing, backdrafting around you in the windstream

Last edited by KCW; 08-23-2019 at 02:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
Check tappet covers. Oil will drip onto exhaust and smell, common issue with bikes that have some age on them. The gaskets are rubber orings which age with time and leak.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well further digging uncovered what must be a weak connection between the vent hose that goes from the air box to the front cylinder It does have that spring clip's on there but still must be leaking by.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

08' Star 1100 Custom, Hypercharger, Viking Lamellar's, full Cobra Classic's...(still tinkering)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 PM
KCW

Garage
the crankcase vent hose from the cylinder head to the air box should not be leaking out oil vapor

when the engine is running the air box is pulling a partial vacuum on that hose, to vent the oil fumes from the crankcase into the carbs, where it burns. I cant imagine there being pressure in that hose to blow oily smelling air out thru a bad connection

unless the hose was off the airbox completely
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
unless the hose was off the airbox completely
I think it must have been at some point before I got in there, looks like oil got sprayed all around that top part of the frame wish bone etc...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Do you have a windshield on the bike? If they are not adjusted (tilt) just right it can cause the exhaust from your tailpipe to backdraft into the still air you are riding in.
Yep that's what it was!! you called it...I trimmed just about 2" off my windshield, re-installed it so there is more air gap between headlight and bottom of shield. I never would have guessed that backdrafting was even possible on a bike!! Took your advice, did some more research and yep...it's definitely a thing. Cheers!!
lesblank and KCW like this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 PM
KCW

Garage
when I first put the Mephis Shades Fats WS on my 650 I think I tilted it all the way back, because you know, aerodynamic, right?

Riding down the street with my mesh jacket on I could feel the backdraft on my back. It felt like the wind was blowing me down the street in every direction I went.

I didnt get the exhaust smell until I started trying to get rid of head buffeting at 75mph - got rid of the head buffeting, then I was smelling the exhaust....

Windshields for both of my bikes stay in the garage most of the time. The whole point of riding a motorbike is to be out IN THE AIR.
percy072 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode