1100 Engine Trouble Light - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1100 Engine Trouble Light

Hi All,
Having a small issue with my 2006 1100 Silverado.

Was riding along the other day and looked down at my speedo, and noticed the engine trouble light was on. Immediately pulled over. Shut the engine off and turned the key back on. No blinking. Light came on for a second, then went out - Standard stuff. Started up again, no problems so I rode off. A minute later, the light is back on.

I could not detect any change in feel or behavior of the bike. It will not give me a trouble code, simply lights a minute after starting to ride, and that's it. Also, I let it sit and idle for 10 minutes and no light. Only comes on while rolling. Having said that, one of the faults is regarding the TPS and it doesn't give a code but mentions if the light stays on, that indicates a stuck condition. Im not sure what this means so am looking for a little direction.

Has anybody experienced this

Thanks

Dave
Keith Post likes this.

Dave
'07 V-Star 650 Custom
'06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'16 DR-200s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
That's a new one. Interesting that it will not give a code, which leaves me to believe it's a bulb issue since no noticeable issues. Once someone had a simular issues and was caused be a bare wire going to light under gas tank. If you were having TPS issues the light should stay on. Keep us informed if issue continues.

Keith Post and JonMaz2112 like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Same problem 2009 V Star 650

Same problem, same symptoms. I don't think my old bike has the "flash to code" system; just a light when something is wrong. Performance isn't affected and the light will go away with a shut down and restart only to come on again shortly after pulling out on the road and gettin' some speed (50+ mph). Speedo works fine. I tore into it last night and checked the TPS. It reads within specs. Searched all over the interwebs and almost every page says it should flash a code. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:14 AM
KCW

Garage
from an engineering perspective this is one of the problems with built-in-self test systems

you want the built in self test because nearly everything fails eventually

sometimes the built in self test system itself fails and gives a false failure indication

on some vehicles it will shut the whole machine down, rendering it useless, because the "watcher" lost its mind.

at least that is not the case with your bike - it still runs

put a piece of electrical tape over the light :^)
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=

put a piece of electrical tape over the light :^)[/QUOTE]

Yep, thought about that. If I can't get to the root of the problem, that'll be my go-to move. Maybe my watcher is as busted as my give-a-d*m?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:21 AM

GOOD NEWS! Dave Star, you might wanna look into this. I fixed it! Getting frustrated with the whole thing, I just went back out to the garage to start ripping it apart again and found a broken wire under the speedo. I'd seen it before and thought it just was a speedo illumination wire. Well, I figured while I was there, I'd reattach the wire. Then I thought, I wander if it could be that simple? Let's put the speedo back on and go for a ride. Well, that did it - NO LIGHT! The wire was white with a green stripe and attached all by itself to the back of the housing. It looks like it screws right into the plastic but, apparently, there's a connection in there that can't been seen from the outside. I'm not gonna bother looking up the scsmat to see what the wire does; I don't think I care. It's just silly that a broken wire could cause such an issue and there be no other help out there. Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.

Thanks for hosting. I'll come back when I have some time to poke around (and maybe do some mods on the bike).
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goscootergo View Post
GOOD NEWS! Dave Star, you might wanna look into this. I fixed it! Getting frustrated with the whole thing, I just went back out to the garage to start ripping it apart again and found a broken wire under the speedo. I'd seen it before and thought it just was a speedo illumination wire. Well, I figured while I was there, I'd reattach the wire. Then I thought, I wander if it could be that simple? Let's put the speedo back on and go for a ride. Well, that did it - NO LIGHT! The wire was white with a green stripe and attached all by itself to the back of the housing. It looks like it screws right into the plastic but, apparently, there's a connection in there that can't been seen from the outside. I'm not gonna bother looking up the scsmat to see what the wire does; I don't think I care. It's just silly that a broken wire could cause such an issue and there be no other help out there. Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.

Thanks for hosting. I'll come back when I have some time to poke around (and maybe do some mods on the bike).

That is awesome you just made us all a little smarter, I'll go ask our bosses for a raise.
Redbird58 likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Once someone had a simular issues and was caused be a bare wire going to light under gas tank.
Pretty cool that an old post helped. Glad it's fixed. Niw get some wind therapy.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:07 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
That is awesome you just made us all a little smarter, I'll go ask our bosses for a raise.
no no no! dont do that!

The laws of physics prove the LESS you know the MORE money you make:

This is supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:
1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

As every engineer knows: Power = Work / Time

Since: Knowledge = Power, and Time = Money, then Knowledge = Work / Money

Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

Conclusion: The less you know, the more you make.

the simple way to grasp this is: if you dont know what you are doing it will take you longer to do it - and since you are paid by the hour.... you get paid more for doing very little actual work
lesblank, eruby, TWater and 2 others like this.

Last edited by KCW; 08-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
no no no! dont do that!

The laws of physics proves the LESS you know the MORE money you make:

This is supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:
1. Knowledge is Power.
2. Time is Money.

As every engineer knows: Power = Work / Time

Since: Knowledge = Power, and Time = Money, then Knowledge = Work / Money

Solving for Money, we get: Money = Work / Knowledge

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of work done.

Conclusion: The less you know, the more you make.

the simple way to grasp this is: if you dont know what you are doing it will take you longer to do it - and since you are paid by the hour.... you get paid more for doing very little actual work

Man o man this new math stuff is confusing.....I need to light some incense to understand all of this....maybe sit outside for awhile and stare at the sun...this is just too deep for a Wednesday.
lesblank and KCW like this.

09 V Star 950

Be seen and be heard! Bright lights and loud pipes!

Enjoy the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in