Small oil leak underneath crankcase - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Small oil leak underneath crankcase

It's off to the right side where a small 2.5"x2.5" panel is located. Just finished a hundred mile ride two days ago and noticed today there was about a dime size spot of oil on the floor underneath my bike. I'm assuming it's leaking where the metal looks extremely clean but that's just me making a half a**ed guess. Any idea what gasket I'm looking for? Is this a common issue? I don't think it's leaking from the middle of the crank case since the bike leans to the left when the kickstand is out and the leak is on the right side of the crankcase gasket.

(second picture is a little more clear)
(2001 v-star 1100 classic)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190902_112700.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	85150   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20190902_112702.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	85152  

Last edited by kthomas; 09-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:55 AM

Garage
That's the oil level sensor. It has a small oring that gets hard and starts leaking. Normally you can take sensor off and install new oring. Mine leaked there and oring fixed it.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Is it safe to say that I just remove those to allen bolts and the sensor pulls right out? Will all the oil drain out at the same time this happens? Do you know the size of this particular o-ring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
Is it safe to say that I just remove those to allen bolts and the sensor pulls right out?
Yes

Will all the oil drain out at the same time this happens?
Don't remember, I did oil change at same time.

Do you know the size of this particular o-ring?
Don't remember, I keep an oring assortment and just matched it.
Sorry, not much help, super easy. I spent more time cleaning than replacing oring.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 PM
KCW

Garage
a great resource for working on your bike is the website www.bikebandit.com

click on OEM parts and Yamaha, enter your bike model and year, and follow the OEM parts tree on the left side of the screen down into the section of the bike you are working on

there are exploding drawings of every part, and it will list the part number, part name, and the price if they sell it. Dont know if it gives the sizes for orings, but with the yamaha part number from there you should be able to google it

or just buy the part from bikebandit

any yamaha dealer in your area should have it in stock
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
a great resource for working on your bike is the website www.bikebandit.com

click on OEM parts and Yamaha, enter your bike model and year, and follow the OEM parts tree on the left side of the screen down into the section of the bike you are working on

there are exploding drawings of every part, and it will list the part number, part name, and the price if they sell it. Dont know if it gives the sizes for orings, but with the yamaha part number from there you should be able to google it

or just buy the part from bikebandit

any yamaha dealer in your area should have it in stock
Well i found the protector plate that covers the sensor (#14) but nothing about the oil sensor or o-ring.. but hell, i'll dive in to it and see what I can't figure out. A little exploratory surgery never hurt anybody.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	85154  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:07 PM

Garage
Here's best picture I could find with sensor out. Arrow points to oring.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Here's best picture I could find with sensor out. Arrow points to oring.
Got the sensor out... the o-ring is still in one piece, i don't notice any cuts, nicks or grooves in it but I guess that still doesnt mean it isn't bad. Suppose i'll head down to the bike shop and get some oil since I just drained it all. Any idea on best way to hunt down the correct size o-ring?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
Taking sensor with old oring and matching it up will be the easiest to get new one. Any hardware store or auto parts house will be able to match.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Well after a thorough evaluation from me (and mostly the guy at Advanced Auto) i believe the leak is not coming from the O-ring but the grommet where the sensor wire pokes out of. The o-ring looks cherry and the grommet looks sketchy at best so I'm really hoping that this assumption is correct. Next stop... eBay.

Thank y'all for the guidance on this one!

***Is it a cheap, stupid move to go with a 20W50 synthetic blend oil over full synthetic to save myself the $20?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_20190902_150208.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	85158  

Last edited by kthomas; 09-02-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode