Aftermarket seat for a v star 1100 custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Aftermarket seat for a v star 1100 custom

Hello Yamaha enthusiasts,
I have read a lot of threads about which new seat to buy but inevitably it comes down to personal preference. The big three seem to be Mustang, Corbin, and the Ultimate Seat. I am 6' 3" tall and over 300lbs. The stock seat on my v star stops being comfy after an hour of riding. I have sat on another v star with a Mustang seat, and although comfortable, it changes the ride position by seating the rider 1 and a half inches forward. So here is my question. Can anyone recommend an aftermarket seat for a man of my size that is comfortable without moving me closer to the gas tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Garage
Option list is short for an aftermarket seat with stock seating position. That I'm aware of Ultimate and ED seats are the only ones. Both have had good reviews here. I'm 5'5" or so and weight less than half of you so my opinion might not count. I've had an Ultimate seat before and loved it. Your other option which can be a lot more cost effective and with good results is to take it to a local upholstery shop and have them redo the padding. Keep us informed on your decision.
Keith Post likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 PM

I went with an E.D. seat.
Had an Ultimate on a previous bike & liked it, but it does require some maintenance

5"9'' 260

edseatsusa.com
Keith Post and lesblank like this.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:42 PM

I am 6' 5" and 280 and I have the Ultimate Mid on my stratoliner and I rode it 445 miles stopping only for gas and drinks. I didn't start getting tired butt till about 380 miles into the ride. Also this was only the second day on the new bike, so I still had to find my comfortable spot.

US Navy, ' 75- '85
'03 VStar 650 Classic
'06 Stratoliner
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 PM

Garage
5'10" 340 I've got the ultimate seat as well, and it's a great seat for us big guys. It doesn't change seat position at all as far as I can tell. And long distance definitely doesn't hurt anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
I went with an E.D. seat.
Had an Ultimate on a previous bike & liked it, but it does require some maintenance

5"9'' 260

edseatsusa.com
I’ve had an Ultimate seat for 15 years, and am curious...what is the “required” maintenance?
Keith Post likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, especially from the bigger guys. When you don't fit in with the standard sizes, sometimes it's difficult to find what you are looking for. I'll let the forum know what seat I end up with once I've made my purchase.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
I’ve had an Ultimate seat for 15 years, and am curious...what is the “required” maintenance?
When I bought it, I was told not to get it wet, or sit in the sun due to it being made of leather.
So if it was going to rain, or sit in the sun for an extended period, to use the seat cover.

Also, the leather needs to be conditioned occasionally.

I used it for1 season, when I sold the bike, I gave the buyer the option of purchasing the seat also, which he did. I also gave him the stock seat.
Keith Post likes this.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM

Garage
I haven't done this on my classic yet but the stock seat on my 1800 VTX was the same exact rock. My tail bone gets sore. What i did on that vtx was put a piece of sheep skin on it.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Adding to the conversation, I bought an Ultimate with a back rest (important for me) and it has been absolutely great. I did a cross country ride and back spending some long days in the saddle and no issues at all. I used to be 6', now I'm probably down an inch at 195 lbs.
lesblank likes this.

Boots
2002 V-Star 1100
Antioch, CA
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
Previous bikes:
2004 BMW K1200GT
1995 BMW 1100 LT
1970 Honda 500/4
1969 Kawasaki 500HD - 3 cylinder rocket
1968 Yamaha 250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in