Loud snap - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenMtnHunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Loud snap

Was out for a short ride today and was decelerating as I came to a red light. I heard a loud snap, as loud as a whip cracking & my bike shut off. Didn't feel anything (like a lurch). Bike started immediately & I drove three blocks home without incident. This happened a couple times before - usually I'm decelerating & turning a corner when it happens. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 AM

Garage
That sounds like a new one on me. Could it have been a spark like a short?

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if it was a short - everything ( i.e. what little electronics are on the bike) seems ok- the noise is hard to describe - thought maybe I'd lost gearbox or clutch but all seems ok - weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Was out for a short ride today and was decelerating as I came to a red light. I heard a loud snap, as loud as a whip cracking & my bike shut off. Didn't feel anything (like a lurch). Bike started immediately & I drove three blocks home without incident. This happened a couple times before - usually I'm decelerating & turning a corner when it happens. Any thoughts?
No lurch -- so the clutch was disengaged and you were coasting and the engine farted and died? And then started again normally at the red light?

Maybe a carb float sticks open when you're stopping/leaning in a particular direction? Floods, backfires? Just guessing. Don't know what bike you have.

Once had a triumph spitfire that suddenly started dying on hard left turns. Sticky float.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

Garage
That happened to me last week....stopped, looked around, nothing. Rode on; stopped at market on the way home; looked again and saw what looked like a huge slab off rubber peeling from the port side of the front tire... Upon closer inspection, it was a tar-snake the tire had picked up! The sharp, "slap" was a nice, long, chunk hitting the inside of the fender! This has never happened in 35+ years, so I assumed it was an anomaly. The location was an hour from home, so I have not been back to see if there was some sort of spill on the pavement, as well. I peeled it off in the lot, and scrubbed the rest of it off on the ride home.
bevo1981 and Keith Post like this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
KCW

Garage
Is it possible you are hitting the kill switch with your thumb, with the throttle still rolled on, and dumping raw gas out the exhaust?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Were you turning in the same direction each time? Because you describe it as a loud snap, that is making me think in electrical terms. I'd examine all of the wires I could reach that have a respectable voltage running through them for cracks, melt marks, and if anything electrically charged is loose etc as well as the general surrounding area for evidence of an electrical discharge.

All sorts of things out there could make a snapping sound but they shouldn't turn the engine off, unless its electrical. When decelerating and turning, components are prone to shifting from inertia, which is why I mentioned check for loose items.

Good luck. If you find the culprit let us know because this is curious.

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
Vn750Guy** In vulcanforums
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Model? Wanting to know if belt or shaft model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. The bike is a 2011 V-Star 1100 (20,000 km's). It happens so rarely I've never been concerned. However, when it does happen I'm decelerating, turning left (it's never happened on a right turn?) , with clutch engaged. I think one time I did accidentally hit the kill switch but don't think I did this time. Just had it mechanically inspected 2 weeks ago. Went for a 4 hr ride in Kananaskis Country yesterday and no issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in