Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Jets and needles

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  HNDRKSS 
#1 ·
2009 vstar 650.
Hey, I have had some work done since I bought this bike runs well but still having a slight throttle issue when I roll it hard at higher rpms and 4th 5th great mainly. It's gotta be the Jets and needles which are upgraded. I have a big Baron intake and Vance and Hines short shot pipes. I did install a fuel shut off solenoid elimination kit. Wonder if anyone knows exactly what jets and needles this set up needs? Any suggestions welcome.

#3 ·
I had the same issue. That site, chart and advice were spot on. Good luck, and these guys know their stuff. Good job Nick57.

Reactions: Redbird58
#4 ·
What I have seen while on this forum are there are a ton of people with 650's. There are more than a few SME's that will get you on the road safely and quickly. The thing that impresses me is they are able to converse on any level. They can dumb it down or let you have it on a higher level. Not sure if they are instructors in their personal lives but if not they may have missed their calling. Good Luck with your issue!

If new to the forum...Welcome from Columbus, OH!

#5 ·
The float bowls on 2006 and on are slightly different. You shouldn't need the solenoid elimination kit.
You remove the " o-ring gasket from main jet holder (stand off sleeve)".
Make sure you're looking at 2006 diagram and later.
Mine still has a "hollow spot" in 4th and 5th if you really crack the throttle, be more gradual.
What I did , should dial you in close (also 650 cc&d)
Idle screws (PMS) 3.5 turns out.
Stock needle with 2 washers .
STOCK pilot jets.
128 main jets.
Disable (or better yet) remove the AIS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.