2000 V Star 1100 Classic trouble starting - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2000 V Star 1100 Classic trouble starting

Hi everyone, I'm having trouble getting my 2000 V Star 1100 Classic started (it wont start) I can here the starter kick in, but then the engine locks up and the engine light comes on... I hope the bike isn't a lost cause. I really need it to run, for two reasons - One, its our second vehicle and I need to go back n forth to work. Two, it my therapy and I need it for my soul. Please any help you can give would be much appreciated. Thank you.. I live in Vancouver Washington,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Sounds like a low battery. Take you battery down to your local auto parts store. They will charge and test for free. After you confirm you have a fully charged battery that has tested good put back in bike and try again. Post back results and we'll go to the next step. It's much easier doing one step at a time to isolate where the problem is. Fingers crossed it just a bad battery.

Edit, just went back and read your other post, did you check oil for gas smell? If so, DON'T try to start until you change oil. You can ruin bearings with fuel saturated oil.
Keith Post likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 10-03-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes. I have drained and changed the oil and filter.. I will try the battery and give results.. Thank you..
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1100 View Post
Yes. I have drained and changed the oil and filter.. I will try the battery and give results.. Thank you..
Did you have gas in the oil?

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Yes, Gas in the oil. I drain and replaced oil filter. I have the battery on a charger now.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1100 View Post
Yes, Gas in the oil. I drain and replaced oil filter. I have the battery on a charger now.
Sounds like KCW said had hydro lock from gas filling cylinder. Be careful not to get more gas in oil before carbs rebuilt.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, Carb rebuild, I'm on it this weekend.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
Let us know how it goes. If help is needed Les and KCW are your guys. Hope you don't mind me spotting you guys out, but you are the best!
lesblank and KCW like this.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:13 PM
KCW

Garage
Les is the carb guy

Ive never had to pull one yet, always been able to handle problems preemptively with fuel stabilizer, or carb cleaner.

If you catch a carb when its sputtering or just starting to act up you can usually fix it with a carb cleaner in the fuel.

But if a bike is parked too long and the fuel turns to goop, or you get some real nasty crap from the gas station, sometimes there is no other way but to take the carbs off the engine and tear into them.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 PM

Garage
First, do you have a manual? Here's link:
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...ary?authuser=0

Second, follow link and watch videos.
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...eo-series.html

Third, google Vstar 1100 Carb rebuild. Everyone has a different way of doing it but watch a few to get the steps memorized.

Forth, Follow this link and read carefully and all links is suggests. It starts out talking about syncing carbs that you must do after rebuild.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...tor?authuser=0

Fifth, you have a phone with camera? Take a picture of every screw you take out before you remove. Video would be better.

Sixth, bag and tag every part. It's easy to forget where they go.

Seventh, work on old white towel, there are many small parts that are easy to loose and the white towel makes it easier.

Eighth, you will take both carbs off together but only rebuild one at a time.

Ninth, I use brake cleaner not carb cleaner, just spray each part, used old toothbrush to clean parts. DO NOT use any strong cleaner on ANY rubber parts, Just soap and water.

Tenth, don't buy carb kit. You only need the two base gaskets 9 out of 10 times. If you need anything else I can advise where to get them. Local dealer will have gaskets but these work well and have the oring you might need. Link to gaskets, you need 2:
https://www.ebay.com/p/20020050402?i...hoCT28QAvD_BwE

Eleventh, don't mess with float arm. The float needle might be dirty and you can get to it without messing with float arm. It can be challenging to get float set right if you bend them so be careful.

Twelve, be patient, don't hurry. This is not a difficult task, but can be a little tedious. There have been many here that have had to redo carbs several time for not completely cleaning everything really good. Especially the pilot jets, they have small holes in the side that must be clean. The wire from a bread tie works great for this.

Thirteenth, you must sync carbs after you get them back on. This is a must. You can bench sync and will close enough for most people. Sync info in number 4 above.

I've only given you the basic info. At any point you have questions, ask. I check the forum daily and will respond first chance I get. It's sometimes difficult to explain the issue, so pictures help a lot. I've done hundreds of Carb rebuild. On the 1100, from start to finish it's about an hour for me and that's spending time cleaning the engine between the cylinders that you normally can't get to. But for the first time set aside two days, you might get frustrated and need a break. It's not a race, you just want it to be right. Now, let your questions begin.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home

Last edited by lesblank; 10-04-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in