2006 1100 Fuel Pump - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

2006 1100 Fuel Pump

I've replaced 5 times and keeps dying.
Any ideas??????

So frustrated....thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:39 PM

Garage
Are you replacing with stock pumps? Any restrictions in fuel flow prior to pump? Restrictions before pump will cause pump to work much harder causing a short life. New fuel lines? Internally fuel lines will deteriorate and collapse under vacuum. Is petcock corroded? Is petcock screen in gas tank clean? Any rust in gas tank causing blockage? Are you changing fuel filter each time to reduce restrictions? Have to tested voltage to pump? Too high or too low voltage will prematurely make any electrical motor fail. Answering these questions will help narrow down the issue causing pumps to fail. Keep us posted.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I'm putting her up on the stand tonight. About 7 years ago I was just driving along minding my own business and she died. No prior conditions. Removed/ cleaned carb, replaced fuel filter to no avail. Ended up replacing the fuel pump and bam, up and running. Has happened 4 times in the years since. Drives me nuts. I am in CA, engineer friend told me might be the alcohol in the gas out here.....Dunno. Will get back with some more info & pics tomorrow....
Keith Post and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:00 PM
KCW

Garage
your 2006 bike was designed to run on 10% ethanol regular octane gas

if you are putting e85 in the tank... that might be a problem

is there any chance its an electrical problem, bad wire/ connector, corrorded ground connection, and when you replace the fuel pump the back connection sticks good for a while?

In a pinch you can bypass the fuel pump, and the bike will run with the tank from full to about half empty - you only need the fuel pump to get the last bottom half out of the tank, because the carbs are higher than the bottom of the tank.

Like Les said, after the first replacement I would have replaced all the fuel lines and filter, and pulled the tank petcock out to make sure its not plugged.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

That's funny..I've gotten so fed up with it my plan was to gravity feed. Bypassing the fuel pump this weekend. I was in a pinch with tools etc when I last had it running and ended up bypassing the pump and running the existing fuel line from the tank directly into driver side carb, ran on one cylinder about 200 miles. Wasn't pretty but made it home. And I honestly think it made it a lot further than 50% of the tank however loss of range is my biggest fear with bypassing. Any other problems, loss of efficiency etc related to bypassing??
Keith Post and KCW like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 AM
KCW

Garage
why was it running on only one cylinder? the hose from the fuel pump tees off to both carbs - connect the fuel filter output to the tee.

you wont have any issues until the level in the fuel tank is about equal to the floats in the carbs, then it will starve for fuel, run lean and sputtery for a few miles, then quit like its out of gas.

If you have the tank full and its not running right with the fuel pump bypassed, then your fuel lines, filter, or petcock is blocked.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
I was thinking about replace the fuel line to receive this kind of fuel pump

Mikuni American Corporation

It works with the vacuum from the intake manifolds.

What you guys think about this solution?

08 XVS650 Custom - "Judith"
ISRA #33080
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 AM

i went gravity a few years ago. eliminated the filter. out of the petcock a 3" stainless ubend, 5/16th. then directly into a brass 5/16th tee. i rounded the barbs of two of the branches so a 1/4 hose would fit to each carb. i hit reserve reserve anywhere from 125 to 155. i ran it dry one time and got 28 on reserve with a gas bottle in my saddle bag.milage varies of different factors.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey Nick,

Would you do it again if you could go back??
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 PM

it is what it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode