Windshield For 650 V-Star Classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Windshield For 650 V-Star Classic

Hi. Now, having all the cash that Santa left under the tree, I'm in the market for a windshield for my 2009 V-Star 650 classic. The switchblade windshields that have been discussed here come in three types: 2-up, chopped and shorty.

I'm 5 ft 5 in and am trying to find out what the right height of windshield would be for me. How do I measure that? I realize that one should be able to look over the top of it, not through it. Just by looking at the website, I'm sure the 2-up would be way too high for my height. Here are the specs:

Cutout to top:
2-up: 20.0 - 21.5 in.
Chopped: 13.5 - 16.4 in
Shorty: 11.3 - 13.75 in.

Any advice of how I should go about choosing the right one? I'd have to buy it online so I want to make sure I'm choosing the right one. I would hope there's a 650 owner out there who's about my height.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Screens are funny things.They are so many things to consider,do you want it low or high,tinted or not,adjustable or not & only some are adjustable.Thier are so many make,models & sizes.
I'm lead to believe that over there you can go bike shops/screen dealers & they have dummy screens you can try on your bike, at least you can try before buy,here in oz we don't have that opportunity.
It really depends on what you want the screen to do for you.
I bought a national cycle chopper screen for my 950,looks great,but have afew issues with it.Firstly the screen cut out for the headlight sat 5 1/2 inches off the headlight(too far),secondly recieved to much air through that gap & over the screen,it was like riding a roller coaster(bloody terrible).To try to solve these issues I lowered the screen & tilted it back as far as I could,made a big difference,but still not totally happy so I've taken it off for now.
I don't want to scare you,talk to blokes who have screens on thier bike,even ask if possible to go for a ride so you can actually see for yourself if that's what you really want to do.
Good luck Bro

I'm lead to believe that if you stand your bike up right,sit on your bike in your riding position,place your finger tips on your nose & then stretch your hand out directly in front towards the front of your bike,that should be the appropriate height for the screen you require
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM

I'm 5'8 and run a shorty, works perfect.....

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:59 PM

Bro,wish I had the same results,I myself same hieght,not to worry I work something out.
Your not getting any heavy wind buffeting around your face & helmet.
Maybe the shorty could possibly have been they way for me to go,but without trying who's to know ah.
Safe riding soldier,we will always remember here.

PS : Thier you go pianoman,Damquick I think has answered you question

Last edited by Kiroo; 01-09-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: addituinal information
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Buffeting

Lowers have been the answer to buffeting for me twice. I have seen talk of tilting the windshied back some. Cannot confirm this. There is low pressure behind the windshield so air rushes in under it and turns up hitting us in he face. Some bikes put a vent at the base of the windshield to fill the vacuum. BMW 1200 LT,and Yamaha FJR are a couple examples of this.

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks Dave, nice to have some who understands what I'm trying to say.
I've got it a stage now where it's far more nicer to ride,still I think it could be better.
Have lower the gap between the haedlight & cut out base of the screen,tilted it back slightly(actual screen brackets don't allow for any tilt adjustment).
Would fork shields make any difference or as you say it and what I've experienced an air flow problem
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM

I really haven't had that bad of an issue with buffering, my winshield is adjustable, I can move it up on the brackets if I need to and can tilt it back about a quarter inch. When it's really windy I take the truck anyway.
Another thing, make sure you get a quality helmet (full face) with a deflector under the chin bar and it will allieve that buffering. During the summer when i'm wearing my half nut helmet I don't worry about buffering as I'm usually in slow cruise mode anyway.

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode