rpm slow to return to idle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

rpm slow to return to idle

I bought my first vstar 3 weeks ago. An 05 650 classic. Last bike owned 1980. I'm rusty on mechanics so really need help with this problem. RPM is slow to return to idle after throttle up in neutral, bike on stand, or clutch lever engaged in any gear when bike under load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Could cable need lubed? Plus carb and lever end? Just a first thought.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

re: lube throttle cable

Sugar Bear, I had sight checked throttle cables at carbs last week and they seemed to function(push-pull) normally in response to throttle position. I will lube cables and connections tomorrow as per your suggestion. Haven't lubed yet, just looked at cables. Thanks for your help. Will post result as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Throttle cable free play

Something that might come into play might be throttle cable free play. I have not encountered this but the manual says if not correct Idle speed can change as you turn handlebars side to side. There should be 6 mm of free play in the throttle grip without moving the cables.

It would seem though as sugar bear said since they are carburetors that linkage or cables would be high on the priority. See if any linkage seems sluggish. Maybe lube the linkage and cables and put some cleaner in the gas. I like Sea Foam. Don't know if carburetor sync could affect this or not. Carburetor sync seems to affect several things. If all else fails you might look into it.

Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM

also sticking needle valves could cause throttle response issues more likely on the decel. i had that issue on my Kawasaki ZX6R tore down carbs found all gummed up needles cleaned up and issue solved
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice guys. Will clean, lube, adjusted cables this morning, and will add heavy dose of sea foam to tank if lube/adjust doesn't work.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM

Here is another thought, as this happened to me. This fall before storing my 650 for the season, I had the valves adjusted and the carbs cleaned. When I got it back, the bike started and idled normally, and I took it on a run. After it warmed up, the bike would not idle down during shifts, and when I stopped, the idle was just a bit higher than it was before service. I simply turned the idle down, maybe 1/2 turn, and it was back to normal.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

update on fixes tried

throttle free play o.k., about 6mm. Turned bars full left & right, rpm stays constant. Lubed cable ends. Added 6 oz. of sea foam to 4 gal. tank, and rode over 100 miles today. Still had slow rpm decrease. Stopped at a cycle shop on way home, haddened been to before. A one owner/mech shop. We talked awhile and went out front. He started my bike and throttled up and down to idle a few times. He thought my idle was to high so he adjusted it down. Still didn't fix problem though. He said he could pull carbs, and check out everything in about an hour and a half, fifty dollars an hour labor. Not giving up yet though. Plan to put some more sea foam in and run it through, to see what happens. Thanks alot guys for all your suggestions in trying to help me out. Will let you know when it's fixed, and what was causing the problem.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Cheap

Berserker, give the Sea Foam time to work. The $50 and hour sounds good for todays rates. An hour and a half doesn't sound too bad either. The fact that the guy took time to adjust the idle sounds good. Guess you just need to know if he is a reliable dealer. Let us know what the outcome is. Might help the next person.

You must be somewhere it is warm.

Dave
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 PM

With my stuff I have found this to be true, sometimes it has taken a few tanks loaded with Sea Foam , Lucas or a like product to do its thing, but it has worked out if that was the trouble. And yes, 50 bucks an hour sounds very fair with what I have to pay these guys. As was said about cable adjustment, I also had that , if I turned the bars lock to lock, reved big time, tiny little things can make big headaches at times. Really hope you get er and let us know. Thanks.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode