Hypothetical Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Hypothetical Question

This may be hard to answer, but we'll see.

I have a 2009 V Star 950 Tourer. What are the best educated and un-educated guesses as to how many miles it will be good for. In other words, if I am a typical rider, that does not beat the crap out of it, I don't red line it, and I will service it as the owners manual recommends and it will be very well taken care of. I keep it in the garage and keep it clean. What do you think the longevity of this bike would be? 30,000, 50,000, 100,000 miles?
All things considered, what are your geusstimates?
I have had a few bikes over the years and all seem to last for a while, but this is my first new one, and I am going to try to make it last as long as I can.

Thanks in advance.

Faithful Lifetime Member of the Sheepdogs.

DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Miles

Jerry,
Is a new model hard to say but if history is any sign you are in good shape. The only referance I can give you is I bought an 06 Stratoliner in Spring of 06 during intorduction sale. I have something over 42,000 miles and still zero defects. No sign of any wear.

Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 PM

From what you say, how it will be ridden, taken care of ect, I see many past 50000, your choice on how many, unless a lemon or something else beyond your control, 100000 is not unrealistic at all, I got an old 82 Virago as my just fun knock around bike, bought in new, took care of it, still truckin. Hope this gives you the good thoughts.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Thats VERY encouraging!! I was relying on past personal experiences and those of others prior to buying this one, and I do take care of my toys, now that I am a wee bit older and can appreciate the hard earned value of them. I just wish that the weather here in sunny Florida would cooperate!! Its either been rainy or cold here lately. And I mean too cold to ride, right now at 12:54am it is a chilly 24 degrees here! I know there isnt any snow on the ground here, and there are a lot of places that are colder, but 24 in Florida? So much for global warming!
Thanks for the input!! I REALLY appreciate it!

Faithful Lifetime Member of the Sheepdogs.

DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 PM

I have 61k on my 06 1100, it still runs and looks great. I have had one major problem with the shaft drive, it should not be an issue with the 950.
Have fun and ride safe
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode