Fuel dumping - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Fuel dumping

I have an `03 V-Star 650. it is dumping gas out of a drain line behind the breather. What`s wrong, and how do I fix it? I know nothing about bikes and don`t want to mess anything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM

It would seem to me that you must have a float inside your carburator that is stuck open. This would allow the fuel to flood the carburator and come out the drain line that you are talking about. I would turn the fuel off at the tank, drain the fuel bowl, and then remove the fuel bowl to inspect the float to see just what is causing it to stick.
Ride Safe-Be Happy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Floats

You may have a stuck carburetor float or valve. If they have not been worked on the adjustment should be OK. So dirt or gum may be the problem. Removing cleaning the carburetor and adjusting may be necessary. You might try some carburetor cleaner. I would try a half can of Sea Foam to a tank of new gas. See if it loosens anything up. If not sounds like you will need help. I believe there are some cleaners you can spray in the float chamber if you can remove the fuel line.

Wonder if the bike sat for a while?
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 PM

deffnently you have a stuck, maladjusted float, or heaven forbid a bad needle valve (float valve) in one or both of the carbs. If I am not mistaken there is a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowls. Try draining these and see if any dirt comes out.
good luck
Doug
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Same thing mine is doing. It sat all winter and I used StaBil and dry gas and ran it so it was thru the carbs. Can you drain the bowls while they are still in the bike?

ETA Mine is an 1100. Does the 650 have two carbs also?

Last edited by ridgwayrescue; 03-07-2010 at 05:00 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=ridgwayrescue;4774]Same thing mine is doing. It sat all winter and I used StaBil and dry gas and ran it so it was thru the carbs. Can you drain the bowls while they are still in the bike?

Yes you can drain the float bowls. There is a screw on the lower side of the float bowls that is for just that.
Doug

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode