650 vstar exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

650 vstar exhaust

I have a 98 vstar 650 I'm tryin to get a new exhaust and I'm wonderin which one I should get I want loud and more horsepower CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT?!? And once I get it do I have to rejet my bike? Plz help me out thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM

exhaust

From what I read you will not need to re-jet if all you change is the exhaust. I don't think you will gain a lot of horsepower from just the exhaust. I hear reports of gain in HP if you replace air intake and exhaust, plus re-jet.

Try going to youtube.com, type in V star 650 and search. There will be several video's with sound with several exhausts. Keep in mind the record level is automatic on most recorders so volume is hard to judge. Sound quality is also poor.

Dave
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Exhaust

Just a word, take it or leave it. If you change exhaust to something like straight pipes for the noise without rejeting you are going to run super hot, you seen the blue pipes? Be careful, if you care.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Thank u both for ur inputs and sugar bear how would I wanna rejet bigger or smaller? And I am gettin a Better air intake also I'm new to the whole redoin pipes and air intakes so if u guys got any tips I would appicate it alot and sugar bear where u from in IN I'm on the border of IL and IN

Last edited by Vstarryder; 01-28-2010 at 11:31 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstarryder View Post
Thank u both for ur inputs and sugar bear how would I wanna rejet bigger or smaller? And I am gettin a Better air intake also I'm new to the whole redoin pipes and air intakes so if u guys got any tips I would appicate it alot and sugar bear where u from in IN I'm on the border of IL and IN
I am no expert by any stretch, I can turn a wrench and keep my stuff goin. I am saying what the boys in the shop have told me, and what I have seen. They tell me bigger jets the more open you go, what size? depends they say.

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 01-31-2010 at 08:56 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 PM

jets

If you increase air flow with an exhaust and/or air filter change then the bike may run lean. So more fuel would be needed. Larger jets. Some have periodicly checked plugs for sign of running rich or lean. White plugs to lean, carbon to rich. I have heard several people say that with only muffle they did not rejet. No guarantee on that.
The big air kit comes with instructions and jets. Search the Internet you will see several. Here is one.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4709403_rejet-yamaha-star.html

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 01-29-2010 at 08:12 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 AM

I can hook you up with an almost new set of Vance & Hines Cruisers for that bike, yes you will have to re-jet. See my ad in the classified section of the forum: https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=1150

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM

For rejetting I would suggest going to Maxair instead of Dynojet. Maxair runs just a little bit leaner which means you retain most of your gas mileage. Dynojet makes the engine run very rich (ie. poor gas mileage). For what it is worth. I have had both kits on my 1100 and prefer the Maxair kit. I would also suggest removing or at least blocking off the AIS system. I could also cause the pipes to turn blue.
Hope this helps
Doug
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 PM

I'm running the maxair with Roadburner Street Pro pipes with the AIS, haven't had any problems at all, also I running a Hypercharger...when I had it disabled I had more problems with it popping on decel: so then I enabled it again and haven't heard a pop yet!

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

So the Final vertict is Maxair for my air intake and Vance and Hines exhaust and I just have to rejet and I'll be good? Well thank u all for everything and ur inputs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode