2009 VStar 950 with Memphis Shades Batwing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

2009 VStar 950 with Memphis Shades Batwing

I just installed a MS Batwing on my 2009 VStar 950. With all the rain lately I only been on one ride with it. It doesn't take away from the great looks of the bike and adds some wind protection - especially on the hands. I have the 5" windscreen but I am getting some buffeting. I think I will need either the 7" or 9". It was really easy to install. I thought I'd share some pictures in case you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6286.jpg
Views:	3269
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	95   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6285.jpg
Views:	10510
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	96   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6282.jpg
Views:	2650
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	97   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6280.jpg
Views:	8021
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	98  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM

Buffeting

Abstar,
Looks great. I think those batwing windshields add to the bike's looks. Will make it easer to ride in cool weather and take the edge off highway riding. Besides looking good. If you are riding now it must not get cold where you are.

On the buffeting, the taller windshield may not get rid of it. Not sure what kind of buffeting you are getting but if it is a turbulance behind the windshield you may need to add lowers,maybe a vent. Something to change the way wind comes in under the fairing and turns up. Bucks lowers did it for me. You may need some that mount to the shocks.

Dave
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I am getting buffeting in my helmet above 50mph. I haven't had time to experiment with different angles yet. I don't think I am getting any turbulence behind the windshield. I'll need some more rides to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Buffeting

Linerdave. What model are you riding? I have the 950T with the 16" windshield and I get buffeting right at the top of my head. I was condidering the 20" windshield but was afraid it wouldn't solve the problem. I added a new mustang seat this winter so I need to wait until I can ride it some more to see how that changes things since it's changing my riding postion. I'm interested in the type of lowers you went with.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Buffeting

Cruzn,
I have a Stratoliner with the tall windshield not a 950. But I think the idea is the same. With both my V Star 1100 and Stratoliner the air behind the windshield would start to move around to the point that it moved my glasses when I get above about 65 MPH. I felt the air coming in under the windshield was turning up and causing turbulence behind the windshield. In my case on both bikes lower wind deflectors just below the windshield solved the problem.

There are other approaches. I saw where person solved the problem by tipping the windshield forward or back more. Some bikes have a vent around the handlebars level to let in air. Examples BMW 1200 LT, Yamaha FRX. Some Goldwings.

Each case is different, Try getting in a safe spot and hold your hand low and try to see where the wind is comming from. Move your feet forward and rearward, trying to change air flow. Once you know where your air is comming from then you can deal with it. I heard one person say air was comming over his helmet and creating a turbulence behind his head shaking he helmet. I don't believe I have had this problem. Maybe I don't go fast enough.

Dave
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the pics of your MS Batwing...very nice.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:54 AM

So we see what it looks like, looks great btw, and we've discussed buffeting. How about fitment issues? Did you have any issues with the install or was it pretty straight forward and easy to do? Is it completely solid mount or is there a quick attach like other Memphis Shade products?

I'm really thinking about getting one of these if/when I sell my 650 Classic, so any info is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Dave in Iowa
2009 Star 950T Raven
- Cobra Speedster Longs
- Barons BAK (smooth)
- Cobra Fi2000
- Lindby Linbar

Future Additions
- LED Lighting
- Batwing Fairing
- Mustang Seat
- Black out some chrome
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Garage
ABSTAR that looks great . I would like to do that for my vstar 1100, but man I'm just too cheap.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

The install was very easy. It uses the quick release mounting brackets that I believe applies to other Memphis Shades windshields.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 PM

Wow !! like the look.

I have the Memphis Fats QR gradient tint screen.

as far as the buffeting... can you adjust the angle of the acrylic visor portion of the unit ?? or is it a one piece unit. ??

Last edited by jefromvegas; 02-22-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode