Relocating Helmet Lock on 1100 Custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Relocating Helmet Lock on 1100 Custom

I have saddlebags on my 1100 Custom which prevent me from using the helmet lock. I'm looking for a product or fix that would allow me to relocate the helmet lock so that I can use it. I would prefer to do this so that I can use the bike's ignition key rather than having to carry another key.

An online vendor (Metric Horse) offered a bracket that that would allow you to relocate the lock to the front fender but after repeated attempts to get one sent to me I had to cancel the purchase, so their product is not an option for me.

Steve
'08 V Star 1100 Midnight Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Helmet lock

Steve,

It is going to be tough to not have a second key. I see locks on E Bay and others but you will have a second key. A trunk would be an option but lots of money and still a second key. My helmet lock for my 1100 was also unavailable. I would just put the helmet over the mirror and tightened the chin strap. That would at least mean a person could not just walk by and pick it up. My Stratoliner has a cable that you hook under the seat and through the helmet. I just do not bother to use it. It is easer to hook it to the mirror. Sometimes I just sit it on the seat. In five years and 55k miles no one has bothered a helmet.

Unless you have an expensive option in your helmet most people would not want it. I suppose after saying that someone will probably loose a helmet to a kid with a mini bike.
Dave
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Steve,

It is going to be tough to not have a second key. I see locks on E Bay and others but you will have a second key. A trunk would be an option but lots of money and still a second key. My helmet lock for my 1100 was also unavailable. I would just put the helmet over the mirror and tightened the chin strap. That would at least mean a person could not just walk by and pick it up. My Stratoliner has a cable that you hook under the seat and through the helmet. I just do not bother to use it. It is easer to hook it to the mirror. Sometimes I just sit it on the seat. In five years and 55k miles no one has bothered a helmet.

Unless you have an expensive option in your helmet most people would not want it. I suppose after saying that someone will probably loose a helmet to a kid with a mini bike.
Dave
Sort of funny Dave, I do, and have done for many years exactly what you are sayin. Like you, it may happen the next run out, but most folks are good, plus that element of fear to swipe something from a biker, could very well be VERY unheathy if caught in the act. I really do believe most folks respect another persons property, it's that extreme few that could have a bad day doin something not good

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I live in a somewhat urban environment where an ounce of prevention always makes sense.

Steve
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 PM

When you can't eyeball it , at least often, understood. Except on a trip, I run mostly rural but, even then, I still have not had a problem with lockin the helmet up (knock on wood )

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 PM

I bought a helmet lock that mounts to the end on my grip, yes it has an extra key but is sure is smooth!

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

I've seen the lock for the end of the handlebar grip that Kuryakyn makes, and it is pretty slick. I have also gotten some ideas on the delphi 1100 forum on how to easily relocate the stock helmet lock elsewhere on the bike. If that doesn't work out for me, I will probably go with the Kuryakyn lock.

Steve
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Perhaps Ol Sugar Bear is totally out of touch, no doubt so from what I have been readin on these posts, I live rural, maybe folks are different(they are!) It's hard for someone who is in, and lives country to really get what some of you guys are sayin bout scumbag thiefs, respect is the order of the day for country folks.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

9 out of 10 people in the city are good, you just have to watch out for that 10th person!

I have also had a philosophy of "take precautions against theft.....don't tempt good people to become bad."

Locking something versus not locking something removes that temptation. It's too bad you need to live that way in urban areas, but that's the way it is.

Steve
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Sadly, and what a shame, I see what you are up against, my friend, do the best you can with what you got to deal with. Be well.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode