Idle too high - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Idle too high

I changed out my throttle cable and installed a factory replacement, now the idle is too high, I adjusted the throttle cable at the intake manifold but still to high and now there is a lot of slop in the cable at the manifold. it helped a little but still to high, I also adjusted my FI2000 and it helped with backfiring a little. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions to drop my idle back down to normal. When I ride at first its not to bad but after I hit like 4o mph, when I come to a stop light and pull the clutch all the way in it starts to idle pretty high again. Thanks, I appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 10:10 PM

Throttle body position sensor

Check this link and find your throttle body position sensor adjustments. But, be sure the new cable is not holding the throttle body on a little. If the problem started when you installed the cable it seems likely the cable is the problem. Look up your cable and throttle adjustments first. If the bike has sat for awhile try some carberator cleaner. (Sea Foam.)

http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/han...starmanual.pdf

Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks alot for helping me tackle this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Hope it helps

Junkie,
Hope it helped. If you find it let us know what it was, might help the next person.

Dave
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I adjusted the throttle cable and that didnt work, When I turn it on it starts out idling fine but once warmed up it starts to idle really high maybe 2000 rpms. When I come to a stop light and pull the clutch in it starts idleing to high. I adjusted my FI2000 and that didn't help. Also I recently changed my headlight housing and and lense so the bike was unplugged so to speak for a while and when i turned the key the clock was reset so i am not sure if I have to reset something in the computer or what but I am hoping that its nothing major. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 PM

Fi 2000

If I understand the FI 2000 you can take it out of line and still run from your stock fuel injection. If so try disconnecting it or at least the power to it, and see if the problem still exists with the stock fuel injection. Does Cobra have recommended maps or settings for your particular air intake and exhaust?

I think the stock electronics are reset when you disconnect the battery for more than a minute or so.

Hope someone with more hands on comes along here.
Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Yes! I firgured it out.... it was a missing fuse that was titled spare on the fuse diagram but on further investigation the diagram says that the back up fuse is for some other else. It is # 4 on the diagram and doesn't give any more information about it. But the link that Linerdave has above gives more information on what this fuse connects to. So I replaced the 1o fuse and took it for a spin, Dnag i love this bike its fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode