Used Purchase, 2007 V Star 1300 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Used Purchase, 2007 V Star 1300

Any suggestions as to what to look for and ask on a low mileage used VS 1300?

Chuck
Old age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Used bike

Chuck,

I have not seen any discussion on on any frequant problems for the 1300 V Star. The only think I have seen is some talk about some noise somewhere in the gear train. Yamaha fixed them but did not have a recall.

I guess it is just look it over.

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Used 1300

Sugar Bear for one would take a really close look. If you can find out who had it and how they road, better yet talk to the owner. Read a lot of posts on here, you will find some of the guys should have got a crotch rocket instead of a cruiser type ride. When some think that burn outs, high revs ect is cool on this type bike, be careful. A few miles on a mistreated bike could equal a ton of miles on one that was cared for.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 PM

I currently have a V Star 1300. Very easy to maintain and comfortable to ride..

2 things on mine that drive me crazy and the Techs laugh as they just might be isolated to my bike ?/.

The shifting is not as smooth as I think it should be. It clunks down hard into 1st and I can hear the gears meshing from 1st to 2nd into 3rd. The 2nd concern is after a long run all day the idle tends to creep up and it revs pretty hard waiting at a stop. As the engine cools the idle drops back to a steady rev.

The Techs have looked and looked and they say nothing can be done for either quirk.

Check the tires at the curve touching the road to see any abrasions, discolorations as if someone was laying into curves hard like a crotch racer rather than rolling into them.

Check the bottom of the frame and exposed bolt heads to see if the last person has hit any curbs, corners, speedbumps etc.

What changes have been made to anything ? have the pipes been changed ? any preformance items ? or is it 100% stock ??

Any extras being tossed in ?? windscreen, saddlebags, lights etc???
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Clunk

Jef,

I have seen others comment on the shifting thing but not necessarily on 1300 V Stars. I think the clunk is because the multi plate wet clutch has some things turning when nothing is holding them back. My Liner has been known to do the same. I consider it not a problem. As to the grating as you shift from second, third, and etc I get my best shift if I shift soon after I pull the clutch in. As you know at first the engine is running faster than the gear you are shifting to then as the engine slows down it is running slower than the gear you are shifting to. There is a point where you could actually shift without a clutch. I have done it but I don't recommend it, has to be hard on things. But point being I bet if you can learn to time shifting to happen at this point you will not hear anything. I assume they are synchronized gears but it is not a perfect world.

Good advise on the things to check and ask.

Dave

Last edited by linerdave; 02-20-2010 at 02:22 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Check out this website specific to V Star 1300's for more info.

http://vstar1300riders.com/index1.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 PM

Here's what mine looks like.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Garage
Man ,You got-er looking good. That is nice, thanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Good luck has finally discovered me. Found a 2007 VS 1300 with 2500 miles and extended warranty plus lots of accessories at the right price. I'm done for the moment.

Chuck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I bought a 2007, low mileage with a Mustang seat and need guidance. @ a 30" inseam, I'm a bit vertically challenged and the bike already has pull back handle bars. Still, I can't get to the lumbar support on the Mustang seat. Got a quick disconnect windshield; but, feels like a helicopter on top of my helmet with the turbulent air flow off the windshield. I realize I have some personal customization to do; but, would just as soon not reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,

Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode