Photos of my 2003 1100 with new tank art. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Photos of my 2003 1100 with new tank art.

This is the tank on my 1100. it was created by first doing a drawing on paper, then re draw it on the tank after the instrument cluster was removed. Then tank was sanded and primed. I used modeling clay tom form the body of the octopus. after the clay dried
I painted body with spray cans and then all the detail work was done by hand using acrylic enamel. The eyes are glass and I have LED lights behind them that light them up at night.

[IMG]http:
//img683.imageshack.us/img683/4442/cimg00112.th.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Gordosoar; 02-23-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 AM

More photos please........ close-up of the eyes and tentacles would be very nice !!!

I've heard of bondo being used as a modeling element but not clay on a tank.???

How did you keep the body of the octopus that was built up from vibrating loose ?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefromvegas View Post
More photos please........ close-up of the eyes and tentacles would be very nice !!!

I've heard of bondo being used as a modeling element but not clay on a tank.???

How did you keep the body of the octopus that was built up from vibrating loose ?
I used a clay that was made to harden in the air without the need of baked in an oven. It also dries very hard and will not crumble. But it will not stick to the tank on itís own. After it dries, it must be glued to the tank by running a bead of super glue around all the edges of the clay. Doing this will hold the clay to the tank very well.
After painting, and clear coat, it almost becomes one piece of clay and looks like ceramic. I have been driving it around a lot since I put the tank back on the bike and I see no sign of anything coming off. It is rock solid. Only time will tell but, I don't think anything will happen to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Garage
Damn that is some nice art work. Say what is the story be-hind it? or what is the theme?sweat
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

When I bought this bike it was all dressed out with windshield, bags, passenger seat, backrest, etc. I took all that stuff off, put on hard krom pipes, removed all of the AIS system, lowered the rear 2”, extended the controls 2” , etc. Having done that, I wanted to do some thing to the tank. I thought about flames, but that was too common for me so I thought I might do something really different. I had never seen anyone do an octopus on a tank and I really like them for some reason. I started out to just airbrush it on around the instrument cluster, then I decided to go one step further and build it up with clay and remove the cluster to make room for the head of the octopus. as you can see, it worked out well. Every one that has seen it here says I should offer my art to the public and do tanks for a charge. It sounds too much like a job, besides there is a lot of time and money in that kind of work and I don’t think any one would be willing to pay to have it done. Although I would be interested in doing another one of some thing else,like a dragon or gator.
G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode