950 Tourer and sturgis - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

950 Tourer and sturgis

A friend of mine just invited me to ride to Sturgis with him this year. Here is my question. I had a v star 650 Silverado for three years and would never think of going on a 2600 mile road trip. I just bought the 950 in January and put .5 miles on it in a parking lot when they delivered it and want to know if would be an ok ride to go from Pittsburgh to Sturgis this year. I don't even know how this thing feels on the road. Looking for opinions if it will be ok for that distance 1300 miles one way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Last year, a few of us from central California went on a 2000 mile, week-long trip to the Grand Canyon. I rode a Kawi Vulcan 900 at the time, and it did great - no problems whatsoever and handled everything just fine. The bike sizes ranged from V-Star 650s (two of them), a Honda Shadow 750, my 900, I think a 1700 and a 1900 Strat... we all had a blast. As long as the bike is well maintained, that 950 will do great. The only thing I would've wanted was an extra gear on the 900 for the higher highway speeds - it felt a little buzzy... I don't know if the 950 is similar in that regard, but with the 1300 I have now, it does 80+ like butter - though when riding in a group, a more tame speed should be adhered to anyway, IMO.

Albert - 09 V-Star 1300 Tourer
www.imagesbyberto.com

Last edited by casilver; 03-01-2010 at 05:32 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Suit 34 View Post
A friend of mine just invited me to ride to Sturgis with him this year. Here is my question. I had a v star 650 Silverado for three years and would never think of going on a 2600 mile road trip. I just bought the 950 in January and put .5 miles on it in a parking lot when they delivered it and want to know if would be an ok ride to go from Pittsburgh to Sturgis this year. I don't even know how this thing feels on the road. Looking for opinions if it will be ok for that distance 1300 miles one way.
It really depends on you, your age, are you toughened in to long runs by the time Sturgis comes. No matter what you ride, it can be grueling, or a ton of fun! I had (still have) an old 750 Virago that the OL and I took many long runs on, 2 grand many times on it. Just me, but I don't think you would have a problem at all with the 950, the key would be,are you ready? Have a great time!!

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

the 950 has plenty of power. it does 80mph like butter as well. my only qualms is that the stock seat makes your butt go numb every 100 miles, so i would suggest getting some kind of extra padding before your trip.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM

Long rider

I am 69 years young.
I ride an 07 V-star 650 Custom.
I have a highway carsh bar with highway foot pegs mounted near the top.
I have added a GEL PAD to my seat, I like it, but not exactly what I expected.
I also mounted a Garmin GPS 205 for ease in getting around in strange towns.
I ride 20 to 30 minutes on the main pegs, then 20 to 30 minutes on the highway pegs. Like stretching your legs every little bit. I have had double knee replacement so the ability to change leg position is a necessity.
I usually ride at 65 -66 with a throttle lock, could ride faster easily, but I choose to ride at this speed. I get near or slightly over 50mpg at this speed, I use only Plus Gasoline.
I usually take a break of 10 to 15 minutes about every 125 to 140 miles.
My dog rides with me and he is usually ready for water and pee pee by then.
I have easily done 400 one way before.
Planning a trip from San Antonio, Texas to Phoenix Az. this spring, about 950 one way, I will try to do it in 2 days.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dogglesfred2.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	113  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 AM

Sure!

As a new owner of a 950T, and for that matter a fairly new rider (solid riding of less than one year) I would say you will have no problems riding a 950 on that length of a ride.

I will suggest building up some miles on the bike beforehand just to know what to expect and figuring out how to make the bike as comfortable as possible as far as a windshield, footpegs or seat... And of course you "being in shape" to ride that distance as mentioned before.

This is my second bike (first a 250cc) and I'm very happy with it. I have the 950T and plan to buy some lowers as soon as I can, as I'm getting some head buffeting, but it's not bad.

I'm really enjoying the bike on the open highway and country roads.

"More sweat = Less blood"

2009 Yamaha 950T Black with Buck's Lowers
Sissy Bar removed/rack added
Rush slip-on
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM

ride on. great dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaOldMan View Post
I am 69 years young.
I ride an 07 V-star 650 Custom.
I have a highway carsh bar with highway foot pegs mounted near the top.
I have added a GEL PAD to my seat, I like it, but not exactly what I expected.
I also mounted a Garmin GPS 205 for ease in getting around in strange towns.
I ride 20 to 30 minutes on the main pegs, then 20 to 30 minutes on the highway pegs. Like stretching your legs every little bit. I have had double knee replacement so the ability to change leg position is a necessity.
I usually ride at 65 -66 with a throttle lock, could ride faster easily, but I choose to ride at this speed. I get near or slightly over 50mpg at this speed, I use only Plus Gasoline.
I usually take a break of 10 to 15 minutes about every 125 to 140 miles.
My dog rides with me and he is usually ready for water and pee pee by then.
I have easily done 400 one way before.
Planning a trip from San Antonio, Texas to Phoenix Az. this spring, about 950 one way, I will try to do it in 2 days.
Good luck
Your dog is too damn cute. LOL. I am 61 with an 1100 v star and also have to change my leg position frequently. Hope to be riding for a while, even when I can no longer walk.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:57 PM

I agree with all the posts above-especially the butt numbing ;~). Number13 mentioned getting some miles under your belt first. I'll take that a bit further. I suggest you get at least the first 600 miles on the bike so you can bring her in for her first service. Break it in a bit, get the fluids changed and all those bolts re-torqued. THEN, I would say the bike would be ready for such a trek. Then there's you. What kind of distance riding have you done? Are you going with folks that have done lots of distance riding? Will they take frequent enough breaks etc?

I think it'll be a great experience as long as you don't ride beyond your comfort level.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Tony

09 V Star 950
Mustang Seat with Backrest
Kuryakyn Side Mount Tag Holder
Yamaha Rear Rack
2005 Kendon Triple Rail Stand Up Trailer with Rock Guard
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 06:59 PM

I think that it takes a while to break in a seat on a new bike. They get more comfortable with time. My FIL took a 2k trip on a Suzuki Bergman 650 scooter. He bought a inflatable seat cushon. He said it made a hugh difference.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM

I would be all over the ride even on your old 650. The 950 will handle the distance just fine. Food for thought I put 4600 miles on a 23 year old Yamaha 920 virago. What a great ride. I say go for it, after all you only live once.
Doug

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode