popping and some backfire on deceleration - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

popping and some backfire on deceleration

My recently purchased 03' V star 1100 Classic has cobra slip on pipes. I purchased this bike from a broker and have no service history. Runs great but pops and backfires (slightly) on decel. I just had some service done and the mechanic told me this is normal for those pipes. That being the case, I'm fine with it. Did he tell me true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Poppong

I get a little from my stock Liner. We often see people asking about popping, I guess the level is key but, I think it is normal. In fact I kind of like it.

Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
I get a little from my stock Liner. We often see people asking about popping, I guess the level is key but, I think it is normal. In fact I kind of like it.

Dave
The culprit is the AIS system. It's still pumping air into the exhaust. You can plug it, or even remove and cap it off. There are kits available.

I just plugged off the vacuum line and plugged the air line. Hugh difference. There used to be a link with instructions for removal of the system on vstar1100.com. I can't get the link to work now,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Plugging AIS system

Quote:
Originally Posted by picknlittle View Post
The culprit is the AIS system. It's still pumping air into the exhaust. You can plug it, or even remove and cap it off. There are kits available.

I just plugged off the vacuum line and plugged the air line. Hugh difference. There used to be a link with instructions for removal of the system on vstar1100.com. I can't get the link to work now,
What did you plug them with?
Thanks for the info
Mike
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 PM

Ais

I forgot to mention AIS. Air injection System. Air is injected into the exhaust to help burn off unburned gas. This link should get you to a site that talks about it. I don't think your 03 had a catalectic converter but it still could have gotten louder.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ-05.htm#AIS

Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 04:36 PM

My 1100 with straight pipes, AIS removed,and Maxair kit cackles quite a bit on decell. Removing the AIS will help.
Doug

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM

Garage
Backfiring is a byproduct off the motor, timing and the fuel system have a lot to do with it also. Removing AIS will knot stop backfiring but it will lesson it. I have a 06 1100 and I have removed the AIS system and I will still get some backfire.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5son View Post
What did you plug them with?
Thanks for the info
Mike
I actually just used a short piece of wooden dowel inserted in the air line, then hooked the airline back up. The vacuum line then is moot, because air can't pass anyway. Still, I used a rubber vac line cap at the carb.

I still had SOME backfiring and popping, but I was running straight through inserts in my hardkrome pipes. I couldn't ride more than an hour without splitting headache. I bought and installed some hard core quiet baffles from www.smartpartz.com. The best $69 I ever spent. Restored much needed back pressure, mid-range torque, and though quieter than before, still authoritive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode