windshield help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

windshield help

I bought a MS windsheild for my 950. The brackets use the bolts that the turn signals use. I can't get those out. I broke off the allen wrench that came with the windshield. Are those locktited in. The instructions don't say anything about that, it just says remove. I hate to reef on them too hard, don't want to round them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
I bought a MS windsheild for my 950. The brackets use the bolts that the turn signals use. I can't get those out. I broke off the allen wrench that came with the windshield. Are those locktited in. The instructions don't say anything about that, it just says remove. I hate to reef on them too hard, don't want to round them out.
If you broke an allen wrench off, don't worry about rounding them off they are toast. Use an easy out, get them out and buy new bolts. At least that's what I would do, I think you can get them out with a drill and an easy out and get your job done. Good luck with it!!

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

The allen wrench that came with the windshield broke, the bolts are still okay. I tried again with a better quality allen wrench. The bolts will not budge. I don't want to break a bolt off in the tree, so I was wondering if there was a secret to get them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
The allen wrench that came with the windshield broke, the bolts are still okay. I tried again with a better quality allen wrench. The bolts will not budge. I don't want to break a bolt off in the tree, so I was wondering if there was a secret to get them out.
I have never liked allen heads in a situation where they needed to be very tight, maybe we ain't on the same page here on what needs to be done here, but I have never had a case where the bolt shaft itself broke off using an easy out, I guess there is always a first time, it does sound like it needs some good torque to twist them out , they WILL come I think, if I am very off base here, I hope someone will give a much better answer.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM

I am not trying to sound mean or anything so im sorry in advance just in case it sounds mean, but are you turning it the right way. clockwise will tighten it and counter-clockwise will loosen it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Heat

Wonder if you can apply a little heat to the bolts without getting in trouble? Maybe some penetrating oil. The heat might pull in the penetrating oil or loosen the bolt.

Be very carefull with any heat, don't let it touch or even get close to the windshield or the paint. Maybe use a soldering iron.

An impact wrench will loosen it easer if you have one available. Just don't hit it to hard. Let the wrench loosen it over time. Hope you don't brake the bolt off.

Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Wink undo the bolt

use a center punch with a flat end, make sure it touches the bottom of the cap head bolt without touching the sides then give it a few hefty taps with a 1lb hammer. get a good make extended allen key and put some pressue on it to try tighten it this should break the seal then give it some mighty pressure the right way to undo it. this is usually guaranteed. if your really unlucky and the head shears off dont sweat it just undo the other bollt take it off and just use vice grips on the protuding threads and undo it because it will be loose now. good luck.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the punch thing first. I have tomorrow off from work. I put a MS on my wifes 650 last Sunday, it was a piece of cake. It would have sure been easier if Yamaha didn't use the tapered forks on the 950.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM

I had taken off the bolts on my 950 passenger foot pegs. The factory used Red Locktite-some pretty hefty stuff. I used a T-Handle allen key which gave me some good leverage-it took quite a bit to get it off. As per the Locktite website www.locktiteproducts.com they suggest the following:

Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
Red: Apply heat to remove
Green: Apply heat to remove

Since you broke an allen key, this would lead me to believe that its not the blue locktite probably at least red.
Take your time, make sure the allen key is seated well. Good luck.

Tony

09 V Star 950
Mustang Seat with Backrest
Kuryakyn Side Mount Tag Holder
Yamaha Rear Rack
2005 Kendon Triple Rail Stand Up Trailer with Rock Guard
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:45 PM

Sure does sound like Ol Sugar Bear went for the radical route,from the other posts, just for giggles, how about letting us know how you gotter done, be interesting, I'm sure

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode