replacing standard air intake - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

replacing standard air intake

I have an '07 V Star Custom 1100 and am considering replacing the round air intake with a Baron style air intake as I was told they give better performance plus they look a lot better any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Are you lookin for "Style" or "Performance" ? The Baron"s does look better, but you still have the associated plumbing and airbox and this is where the real restriction is. I tried the slip in K&N filter in the OEM dog dish. I did the Ram-Air Mod from E-bay. It wasn't till I did the full Pod conversion that I was satisfied. I used K&N RU-600s, jets I got local, info I needed here (http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...ar1100-FAQ.htm) and put together a PCV vent like the predator at Autozone/Ace Hardware. All for about $100.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Freeing up the air

From what I read that seems to be true. Systems like "Max Air" and such that make truly large changes in air intake are necessary to make a significant change. Along with this comes an increase in "top end noise" as well. From what I hear to get much increase at all you need to go the whole route. Intake, jets, and exhaust. Changing air flow through the whole engine and then increasing fuel, to restore fuel air mixture.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:20 PM

I havent noticed the intake noise, also have Cobra Speedster Slashdowns. It seemed to have more whoooshing with the OEM and ram air setup.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Help an inexperienced guy out here. Is the POD mod separate from the external air cleaner? The air ram under the seat looks like it scoops air from the front of the area under the seat? I've been looking at the airbox mod that is now-
- available on Ebay-

I've already done the stock exhaust mod with great results, and wanted to boost air flow from the front.

Any info greatly appreciated and applied to empty grey matter for future reference.
BacknSaddle
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM

Pod style air filters replace everything...from filter to air box. The filters mount right to the carbs.

That ram air mod on Ebay is a total rip off....it will do almost nothing for performance.

No matter what you do the the stock exhaust, unless you toss the front pipes into the garbage can, you' re not going to get much if any increase in performance. All you get is a little noise. They are so small a diameter and that is the biggest reason for poorer performance.

No matter what exhaust you have, pods will still give you 10 HP and it is the single most important performance modification you can make on an 1100. It's also one of the least expensive. It's not totally necessary to put on an aftermarket exhaust system to realize superb results...but they will make a dramatic difference with pods.

The other filter set ups out there that just replace the air filter do very little for performance and lots of riders put them on just for looks and use pods as their actual filter set up.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM

THANK YOU Sick Mick. Good info.
BacknSaddle

P.s. I have seen an increase in power-- however slight-- with the Phelps exhaust mod. And it sounds better. I'm sure it will accommodate more airflow when I POD the front end. Love this forum.

Last edited by BacknSaddle; 07-03-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode