Seized Engine :/ - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Seized Engine :/

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was directed here by a member of thumpertalk and i hope i can receive some assistance. Heres my problem: At 5k miles on my 2007 Vstar1100 the oil plug decided to unscrew itself and my bike ran out of oil. As soon as i was aware of the problem i added more oil. Now at 30k miles i started to hear a knocking sound on the lower end of the engine. I took apart the clutch, put new plates, etc etc. I ran it for about 2k miles and the noise wouldn't go away. I decided to turn it in to the dealer to see what they could find, turns out that damage from 25k miles ago is all over my engine. Pretty much my engine is seized, but it still runs. Im looking at 3,000$ in repairs with labor. This wouldn't make sense since the bike is worth 4,000$ and i OWE yamaha 4,000$...
I really don't want to part it out, i have spent tons in accessories. Besides, it would break my heart to do so. So can you guys give me some ideas as to what to do?... i am very frustrated at the moment and cant think straight. I am thinking of just buying a new engine all together, but is there another alternative? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Wow! Thats a bummer. I know the transmissions of the V-star are pressure lubed, you are not even supposed to tow them without the engine running. I'm a fixit type of guy so I'd probably tear it down. You can get alot of info here:

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...ar1100-FAQ.htm

http://www.vstar1100.com/

You can even get copies of overhaul manuals. Second do you have the tools, measuring devices and skills? Even if you don't Pull it apart, take lots of pictures, label and bag hardware for each phase or part,and learn/acquire the skills/tooling as you go. You can save a ton of money on the labor and the help here is free.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM

If you like a challange and can turn a wrench, Fulltilt1 has a good idea. Johnny Cash it (one piece at a time). It will be awhile before you can ride it again, but the pride and self satifaction will be great.Good luck if you take on this project, and let us know how you come out.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRider View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum. I was directed here by a member of thumpertalk and i hope i can receive some assistance. Heres my problem: At 5k miles on my 2007 Vstar1100 the oil plug decided to unscrew itself and my bike ran out of oil. As soon as i was aware of the problem i added more oil. Now at 30k miles i started to hear a knocking sound on the lower end of the engine. I took apart the clutch, put new plates, etc etc. I ran it for about 2k miles and the noise wouldn't go away. I decided to turn it in to the dealer to see what they could find, turns out that damage from 25k miles ago is all over my engine. Pretty much my engine is seized, but it still runs. Im looking at 3,000$ in repairs with labor. This wouldn't make sense since the bike is worth 4,000$ and i OWE yamaha 4,000$...
I really don't want to part it out, i have spent tons in accessories. Besides, it would break my heart to do so. So can you guys give me some ideas as to what to do?... i am very frustrated at the moment and cant think straight. I am thinking of just buying a new engine all together, but is there another alternative? Thanks.
OK!! did you change the oil yourself Or did the dealer do it????? If the dealer did it they are liable. If you or a friend did it I'm affraid that you'll have to bite the bullet and get it repaired buy the dealer, or do a teardown and rebuild yourself or if you have a friend that's mechanically gifted buy the parts through a wholesaler, give your friend fair compensation and rebuild it yourself and save quite a few bucks.In any case it kinda sucks since the riding season is just around the corner. Good luck.

"Fortuna Favet Fortibus"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 AM

Hit the search engines...you can pick up an engine for a reasonable price, not too long ago I saw an 04 1100 engine with 7K miles on it go for $900.00 on Ebay...with a 90 day warranty! Not a bad deal if the mileage is documented...Check with all the dealers in your area...back in the late 80's I had a Suzuki Savage that died three month out of warranty...the dealership 50 miles away from me had one that was a salvage bike (bent forks, dented tank) and I bought the motor from them for $650.00....with less than 4K miles on it...was alot back then but now you can find a deal everywhere. Check all the resources available to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...item1e5b194c98

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mike View Post
OK!! did you change the oil yourself Or did the dealer do it????? If the dealer did it they are liable. If you or a friend did it I'm affraid that you'll have to bite the bullet and get it repaired buy the dealer, or do a teardown and rebuild yourself or if you have a friend that's mechanically gifted buy the parts through a wholesaler, give your friend fair compensation and rebuild it yourself and save quite a few bucks.In any case it kinda sucks since the riding season is just around the corner. Good luck.
I was the one who the did the previous oil change, so it would be my mistake. Im pretty sure im going to take that route, buy all the parts over the months and rebuild it myself. Thanks
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damquick1 View Post
Hit the search engines...you can pick up an engine for a reasonable price, not too long ago I saw an 04 1100 engine with 7K miles on it go for $900.00 on Ebay...with a 90 day warranty! Not a bad deal if the mileage is documented...Check with all the dealers in your area...back in the late 80's I had a Suzuki Savage that died three month out of warranty...the dealership 50 miles away from me had one that was a salvage bike (bent forks, dented tank) and I bought the motor from them for $650.00....with less than 4K miles on it...was alot back then but now you can find a deal everywhere. Check all the resources available to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...item1e5b194c98
I've been active on the classifieds as well. It'd be way easier if i just found an engine WHOLE in good shape. Thanks
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 PM

I would recommend finding a replacement engine. It sounds like just about every part inside the engine maybe trash $$$$$$. Yamaha requires all sorts of special tools for a tear down and rebuild.
Good luck.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 02:01 PM

I go along with everyone who says buy a used engine. I've rebuilt a few motors in my time and as pointed out, you probably need special tools or would have to fabricate them. You probably would also need machining labor unless your a machinist. Yamaha parts are very expensive, if you end replacing pistons, rings, bearings, rebore cylinders, and do a valve job, (doesn't even address transmition) your probably going to end up spending alot more on parts and machining labor than for a decent used engine. You also have to decide, how long do you want it to be down?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

I found an engine at a salvage dealership of an 2008 Vstar1100 CUSTOM, i have an 2007 100 CLASSIC. Will the engine fit in perfectly or will modifications need to be done?
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode