650 Oil Change - Remove Pipes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

650 Oil Change - Remove Pipes?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (and motorcycles). I read that I need to remove the pipes the change the oil on my 650 Classic. How difficult is this? Also, is there a relocation bracket for the oil filter so I do not have to take the pipes off to change it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM

On the 650cc v-star removal of the exhaust i not needed its only on the 1100.

The 650 oil change is relitivly easy but they do make relocation kits to make it a spin on filter witch is even easier.

The 1100 V-Star you do have to remove the front pipe if you dont get a relocation kit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Filter

I believe Tineybear is correct. The filter is behind the plate on the right side. On the 1100 V Star you have trouble with the bottom screw. I saw another post talking of this but I did not think the exhaust needed to be lowered on the 650.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses; I was reading in a manual that I had to lower the pipes and I figured I'd double check. I'll see how hard the filter change is. If it's a pain I'll get a spin on kit.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 AM

with the factory pipes you do not need to loosen or remove them...some aftermarket pipes you will...I have to loosen mine to do the change, soon enough though I'll be doing the Jardine relocation mod and make the oil change a breeze.

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM

I just changed the oil on my 650 for the first time. I did not need to loosen the exhaust, however from the look of it I figured that when the plate was removed and the filter lifted out there was no way it wasn't going to puke oil on the exhuast and there is a heat sheild at that location that would get oil under it. I wrapped the pipe with tin foil and was glad I did, it did get oil all over the tin foil but after I was done I removed the tin foil and all was clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode