Bent Drive shaft - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Bent Drive shaft

Anybody ever experienced a bent drive shaft? Just noticed mine when we recently changed the rear tire. 16000 KM on bike and never been in accident. Can't figure how this happened. Shaft is bent about 1/8" in mid-shaft.

Is it possible to straighten shaft or should I just replace ($300 for part)? Any thoughts on what might have caused this problem?

Cold in Canada.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 PM

I have never heard of this happening. Do you have a vibration at any speed? Is there any play at either end. If not check the run out (amount of bend) at each end. If there is no signifacant amount and no vibration I would not worry about it. But that is just my opinion.
Maybe someone else here has some other advice, or opinions.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Garage
Exclamation

If the shaft is bent? I would not ride it at all! A bent shaft could be a sign that the middle gear cracked or on the verge of failure. I would take it to the Yamaha shop. I have read on some forum the cost for failure from 200$ too 2500$ http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...FAQ.htm#Topics

There is a poll with 41 bikes over many production yr. that has had this failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Took the shaft out and checked the runout, which was about .140" midshaft, but nothing at the gears on either end. Have ordered a new shaft anyway but figured what the heck and after determining the apex of the bend, laid the shaft across two bricks (bent side up) and hit it with a rubber mallet until it was straight. Not too scientific but the shaft is now straight and the vibration is gone. Looks like I've got a good spare shaft now.

High tech be dammed - just hit it with a hammer !!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I am curious as to what caused it to bend in the first place. Was the bike dumped or in an accident?

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

No accidents and no reason for the problem. It was noticed during first rear tire change by the shop mechanic. Suspect it was perhaps this way from the factory. When we bought the bike it has 4000 km on it and we did notice some slight vibration around 110 kph but put it down to tires, roads, or that is just the way it rides. Have already ordered a new shaft and seals just to make sure and will keep the old shaft as an emergency spare.

Weird case but glad we caught it before our big trip this summer.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclayton View Post
No accidents and no reason for the problem. It was noticed during first rear tire change by the shop mechanic. Suspect it was perhaps this way from the factory. When we bought the bike it has 4000 km on it and we did notice some slight vibration around 110 kph but put it down to tires, roads, or that is just the way it rides. Have already ordered a new shaft and seals just to make sure and will keep the old shaft as an emergency spare.

Weird case but glad we caught it before our big trip this summer.
Is it new? Would the warranty not cover it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Na, she's a 2007 so I'm on the hook, and I can't prove where the damage occurred anyway.

Just thought that I would post this to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with the final drive shaft.

Have a great summer.......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclayton View Post
Na, she's a 2007 so I'm on the hook, and I can't prove where the damage occurred anyway.

Just thought that I would post this to see if anyone else has had a similar problem with the final drive shaft.

Have a great summer.......
There is a documented issue with an alignment issue causing rear drive failures on 650's. I know of one guy that has replaced his rear-end 3 times. Due to improper alignment, it seems that it binds, causes heat, cooks the grease out and the rear drive splines shear off.

This doesn't sound like it, as it is a bent shaft versus a swing-arm alignment...but it is interesting to hear of a v star shaft drive issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode