Sounds of losing power while clutch disengaged. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Sounds of losing power while clutch disengaged.

I have an 650 custom that I recently took out of storage. I haven't ridden it much (about 30 miles) since removing it from storage and it rode fine the day it was removed and sat for about 2 weeks until I was able to ride it again. When riding and switching gears it gets really quiet (compared to normal) and sounds like it wants to stall. I did have it stall a couple times on me the other day while doing this and it sounded like it wanted to stall anytime I had to sit long at a stop light and let it idle. I'm not sure if I'm warming it up improperly or what is wrong. It was stored with a full tank of stabilized fuel. I recently removed the tank to access stuff underneath if that could elude to anything. Could it be that I need to clean my carburetors? or what else might it be?

Thanks,
bsteinma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM

A good first and easy thing to do, especially after a period of storage, would be a tank of fresh gas with a treatment of tryed and true Sea Foam, if it's nothing severe, I think a half can or so for a full tank. The stuff is a great cleaner for carbs and fuel systems, I use Lucas with good results also. Hope this can help you.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM

Garage
Wink sea foam

I'm no fan of stabilizers. But i know that SEA Foam works well. I have use it in my tractors and left them in the field for 6/8 months, go out in the spring time and work them like dogs for 14hr a day for two weeks at a time. used sea foam. Besides you can get it a wally-eees-worlds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:41 PM

After reading all of the posts having problems after storage. This E10 fuel that we are being forced to use breaks down with in 45 days of pumping. I am thinking that maybe it is best to drain all fuel and store with the tank and carbs empty. Then upon recommisioning fill with fresh fuel. But this is just my 2 cents worth.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great advice. After using up the gas stored in the tank through winter I have not had any more issues with the bike. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind for next time I store the bike.

Best,
bsteinma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode