650 Custom lowering kit spring removal - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

650 Custom lowering kit spring removal

Dear all,

I just purchased a lowering kit for my 650 Custom from Pacific Coast Star. I wasn't sure, but I was expecting that the installation was going to call for removing the spring. Does anyone know if there is any way to go about this installation without purchasing the spring compression tool (i.e. are there any other spring compression tools that could work, is it possible to easily make one, etc.)?

Thank You,
bsteinma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM

I have in the past used a ratcheting strap.....Not the safest thing to do, nor the smartest....go buy the tool, or rent one , borrow one from a NAPA dealer...well worth the money

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was curious about. I wasn't sure if I'd need the spring removal tool made specifically for the motorcycle from BARON here http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/...571/index.html or if one from an auto parts store would work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 PM

I have used the strut spring compressor tools and I think they will be a little large. You could probably make one with some threaded rod and angle iron. Three short pieces of angle drilled to form a triangle for each end. I'd use barrel nuts for extra strength.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

I was curious if that Macpherson Strut Removal tool would be too large because its hard to tell from a picture and if it's not too large it would come very close. I'm not totally sure what you mean by cutting the angle iron into triangles for the end. One of these will definitely be easy to make but I might have to break down and just buy the 55 dollar tool (that is probably composed of only 10 dollars in hardware).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 PM

I was just looking at the tool and basically the hole placement is a triangle. Three short pieces of angle with a hole at each end. Six holes line em up and make a triangle, put your threaded rod through it. Well it was good in thought but at $55 I'd probably buy the tool. You'll probably spend $30 to make it, not counting your time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Diameter of a Strut tool 6 or 8 inches in diameter. I was just looking at the tool and basically the hole placement is a triangle. Three short pieces of angle with a hole at each end. Six holes line em up and make a triangle, put your threaded rod through it. Well it was good in thought but at $55 I'd probably buy the tool. You'll probably spend $30 to make it, not counting your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode