950 Vibes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

950 Vibes

Not quite a 950 owner yet but had one question. Since there is no tach, at what speed does the engine vibes become annoying?

Also heard that the valve adjustments are every 16K instead of 4K which was a huge relief.

Hope to have my tourer soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Don't know about the 950 but my 1100 starts to become annoying around 80mph.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM

I've been doing 70-75 on the interstate and it barely feels like I'm on the throttle. I'll hit 80 at times no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 AM

I'll put my .02 in. I have the 950T, with about 3300 miles on it since Dec 31st '09.

To me the bike does seem to work hard at about 75-80. Mainly I suppose it SOUNDS like it's working harder (just like most other bikes) at these increased speeds. I have no issues with levels of vibration that I feel are out of place. No excessive vibration through the floorboards, for example. This bike will run at highway speed with no issues. Have confidence.

I will say that stock the 950T is very quiet in the exhaust area and that at speed 65 and above you simply hear the engine humming along. Recently I added Buck's Lowers and I hear a little more of the engine sound directed back at me. I am 5'7 or so and the windshield included in the Tourer could be a few inches taller for wind coverage, but if I had purchased a windshield on my own it probably would have been a short switchblade type as I don't really like how most windshields look anyway.

"More sweat = Less blood"

2009 Yamaha 950T Black with Buck's Lowers
Sissy Bar removed/rack added
Rush slip-on
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM

im a noob to the 950s as well but i just bought one 2 days ago and on the way home i did feel like the vibrations at 55-70 got a bit annoying. i mostly feel it in the floorboards but it seems to vibrate my eyes as well. i almost have to squint to read a road sign properly. im sure this is something i will get used to, but on all my previous sportbikes i never had this problem. may also be because its brand new? if anyone has any fixes or if it sounds like i have a problem no one else does, let me know so i can address it. Thanks! sorry to threadjack a little!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

what kind of footwear are you using to ride? are you gripping the tank with your knees when you ride? something to think about.

coming from a sportbike, yeah you're gonna notice some vibration because it is a Vtwin cruiser and they have more growl than what you're coming from. for the most part, i think you're just a little sensative to it at this point. you'll get used to it, or you can experiment with some things and see if you notice any differences.

for the original poster - annoying vibrations is purely a subjective opinion. nearly all cruisers have some measure of vibration, but unless there's an actual problem with the bike, it's all part of the riding experience. the 950 is no different in this department.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 AM

turbulence

Tintkng,

I wonder if some of the eye vibration is air turbulence? My buddy's 950 is smoother than that. Lowers have been my cure for turbulence behind the windshield on both my 1100 and Liner. I have seen turbulence move my glasses. Don't know about the floorboard thing, I have never noticed that.

I believe Buckslowers.com has lowers for the 950 V Star. I saw a bulletin at my dealer the other day. Yamaha may have some Shock mounted lowers for the 950.

Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 05:06 PM

My 09' 950 does 80 like butter. The vibrations dont get to me until around 90-95. If you want a cheap and easy mod that will make the 950 sound like a beast, then drill out the exhaust baffle with a 1 1/2" holesaw bit with a 12" extender for your drill. (I reccomend a hammer drill for better control) I did this the second week I had the bike and it was the best thing ive done to it so far. It doesnt sound like an overgrown mosquito anymore and I spent 16$ total on it.

"Harry: I always thought the rocky mountains would be a little rockier than this.
Lloyd: Yeah, that John Denver's full of shit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode