Tanks for 650 classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Tanks for 650 classic

Hey I was just wondering if there is a bigger tank out there for the 650 classic. Just curious how many miles does everybody else get out of a tank of gas from the 650 classic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Tank

I have seen this question before, but no bigger tanks. How far you go on a tank of course vary's a lot. Mostly with your right hand. If you changed exhaust and air flow.

Probably near 150 miles before you go into reserve. I liked to reset the trip meter when I filled up. Be sure the fuel valve is in the run position and run untill I feel it sputter. Switch to reserve and take a look at the trip meter again. After a few times you will know what to expect.

Dave
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Like Dave said, your riding style will directly affect how far a tank will take you. If you ride aggressive, you should be able to get 150 miles before you need to look for fuel. If you just casually cruise along, 200 miles is pretty easy to hit. An easy way to know is to remember that you will use 75% of your fuel when you have to hit reserve. So if you ride 150 miles from full to reserve, you have another 50 miles left in the tank if you continue to drive in the same manner. Usually it's time to get off and stretch a little after that far anyway, so might as well top off the tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Dave and Roxtar have it right. Another option is to cary a small one gallon gas can if you need to go futher. Although in all of my riding the furthest between fuel stops I have seen was 120 miles.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

The reason I ask is that the other day I ran it out of gas thinking I had plenty of fuel. The dealer where I bought it told me it had a 4 gallon tank. So i left home with 110 miles on the trip meter from when i fueled up last. I had to go 60 miles and I could fuel up there so I figured I had plenty of gas. I was figuring it gets around 50-55 MPG So i was good to 200 miles. Got to 135 miles on the trip meter and it started sputtering making me switch to the reserve and i was now past the point of no return. Keep going to the next town that had a gas station which was 25 miles away or turn back which was 28 miles away. Decided to chug on and made it to the town but when I got to the gas station they didnt take credit cards and they were closed. Well I have 9 miles left and i herd a tiny bit of gas still shloshing in the tank. Headed out and not more than a few miles out at 160 miles on the trip it ran out. Luckly I only had to walk it about 100 yards and of all people to stop and help me was my cousin and he just happened to have a gas can but he had to go fill it up. Kind of funny how stuff like that works out. But anyway for having a 4 gallon tank i seem to be getting bad gas milage or I dont have a 4 gal tank but a 3 gal tank. Wouldnt having a hypercharger and a custom exaust make the engine breath easier increasing your gas milage? Surley if I got my foot into it a little a few times in a tank og gas wouldnt drop my milage that much would it? Any suggestions?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:09 PM

Well the 135 miles to reserve would come to about 45 mpg. If you ran out at 160, that means 40 mpg. I would have figured another 25 miles pretty easy if I hit reserve at 135. Of course there are exceptions that need to be figured in. That 45mpg is estimated. And the 5 mpg difference can be had by simply running into the wind instead of with the wind.

You know that you got 40mpg on the entire tank, but were there variables to take into account during the entire fuel run? Running at 65mph uses more fuel than running 55mph. Stop and go as opposed to running steady on the highway. Mostly straight and flat roads as opposed to hills and curves. And of course the wind. Even a crosswind will reduce your mileage.

As far as what your bike gets for mpg you will need to get an average after a few tanks and your riding style. If you only get 40 mpg consistantly, then maybe it's time to check the jetting. Often times the jetting does not get changed right when a hypercharger is added. A quick check of the spark plugs will let you know if it's running too rich.

My 650 is all stock. I average 50 mpg under normal conditions riding 2 up with my wife. I get another 5 mpg riding alone. But I have gotten as low as 45 by myself in windy and hilly conditions.

Bottom line is to ride on the cautious side as far as fuel and check it constantly. After a bit you will get the feel of what riding conditions do to your fuel consumption and it will become second nature. But don't rule out the possibility of a carb jetting issue if you find yourself in the 40s mpg range!

Good luck and ride safe!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 PM

I don't think most folks run till reserve before a break, that's a long time in the saddle before a gas and rest stop. I figure 50 mpg on my 1100 and that's normally on the light side. It's easy to have peace of mind by just topping off at rest stops ect. Not really a need to run so low in most cases.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Would a hypercharger and exaust make the engine run richer than normal? I am not familiar with the V-twin. Also I am not sure if there is a computer running the inner workings of this paticular bike so im not sure if it could be a case of the computer overcompensating the extra airflow or not. Reason i say this is I noticed that my pipes has coating off soot in the inside of em like it has been running a little rich. But then again if its a jetting problem thans an area im totally lost on... I Know on my little honda rebel I had I put some jardine pipes on and it was running a little lean and it had to be rejetted but from what I gathered it was kind of a crap shoot. Stick one in and see if it works if not get a diffrent one.

It is kind of suprizing that wind/driving conditions/habits would have that big of an impact on gas milage. In my mind I am still thinking with an 6-8 cyl mind and thinking with a much smaller engine the ratio would greatly decrease. ie. wind effecting an eight cyl takes off 5 mpg... wind effecting a much smaller vehicle with a much smaller engine the would only be 1 mpg loss.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowhawk01 View Post
Hey I was just wondering if there is a bigger tank out there for the 650 classic. Just curious how many miles does everybody else get out of a tank of gas from the 650 classic?
My 650 used to get me about 115-120 miles before reserve. But then I'm 300 pounds and cruise 70 on the interstate.

My 950 now gets a good 10 mpg better.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:37 AM

The hypercharger and pipes will certainly make a difference . The change in airflow has to be compensated for in the carbs by re-jetting them. There is no computer controlling any of this on your bike. I will refer you to the www.650ccnd.com website. There you will find more info on the proper way to jett a carb, and even some examples of what those guys did with certain hypercharger and pipe combos. It really is a wealth of info! If you are getting soot on your pipes, it tells me that you are running rich. Since my bike is stock, I don't really have any other info to share.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode