Final drive spline on V Star 1100 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Final drive spline on V Star 1100

Will be back to my V Star 1100 Silverado in June. New to me, but is a 2006 with 12000 miles. Has been parked for 6 months and will change oil before taking it out much. Other than that I notice a number of problems with some Yamaha bikes on the internet needing grease on the final drive splines. Don't have access to my shop manual now and want to prep. for any work I need to do before I get there.

No problems I've noticed with the bike last time I rode it in Dec. 2009 but don't want any. Any advice on the 1100???? What else besides the oil, splines? should I check before running it for 1,500 miles in 3 weeks on the freeway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Other than the standard tire pressure, brakes, lights,and fork oil only thing I can think of is rear end fluid level. Fill to bottom of filler port with 80-90w gear oil and enjoy the ride. I would probably do a full service since the bike has been sitting for a period. Otherwise your bike is ready to go. I have almost 65k miles on my 06 1100 and do very little to it. If you need a service manual I can email you one that will work.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

1100 Silverado

Thanks. I'm tryng to anticipate.....but I've got a service manual in San Antonio, Tx., where the bike it. I live in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mx. and get back to Tex about once every 3 months. This time was delayed 6 months and I've been reading too much and worrying. Glad for your advice.

Rode here with 12 other bikers, Honda 650s, Honda 750's, Kawasaki 1100's, Honda 450's, and a V-Rod. But most bikes are smaller to allow for open ranges for goats, horses, cows. But a good time was had by all. Safe too, even though the V-rod had to show off and pop it up to 130 in less than 10 seconds. I like slow, easy, cruiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

service manual

Doug, if you've access to a service manual, since mine's in San Antonio and I'm not, please email it to me. If it's tough, since my email connection in Mx is slow, can you find the section on greasing the splines and email that to me?

Thanks in Advance. Safe riding.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 04:14 PM

On line manual

Bucky,

There are some online manuals you can read and print a page. You might find a manual on a CD on E Bay.

Try this one.
http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...anual99-07.pdf

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky1845 View Post
Doug, if you've access to a service manual, since mine's in San Antonio and I'm not, please email it to me. If it's tough, since my email connection in Mx is slow, can you find the section on greasing the splines and email that to me?

Thanks in Advance. Safe riding.
Bucky1845
What is your email? or send me an email via the private message section. The file is to large to post here.
All I can find in the manual for the drive shaft splines is lube them with Molybdenum disulfide grease any time the rear wheel is removed.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life

Last edited by DMTJOY; 04-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Periodic maintenance on V-Star shaft drives!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTJOY View Post
Other than the standard tire pressure, brakes, lights,and fork oil only thing I can think of is rear end fluid level. Fill to bottom of filler port with 80-90w gear oil and enjoy the ride. I would probably do a full service since the bike has been sitting for a period. Otherwise your bike is ready to go. I have almost 65k miles on my 06 1100 and do very little to it. If you need a service manual I can email you one that will work.
The part/location that REALLY needs attention (occasionally) on V-Star shaft drives (of all sizes) is the splined hub that is located inside the rear wheel.......NOT the gears in the Rear Axle Gear Case Assembly (sometimes known as the "pumpkin") that is that big silver "differential-looking" thing located at the back end of your drive shaft. The gears inside IT run in a constant bath of 90-weight gear oil and rarely need attention.

It's the "final final" drive gears....(which aren't gears at all, but a pair of splines).....i.e. the "rear hub", which bolts onto the inside of the center of the back wheel and meshes with the "female" splines that are actually on the OUTSIDE of the gear case that usually cause problems and 'go south' due to lack of lubricant.

See illustration from Yamaha parts catalogue, below. It's item #6 that turns to dust if not lubricated.......occasionally! Thank goodness that's the (relatively) cheap part, ($160 in the US....add about a hundred, Canada-side) which I think was designed to be the first-to-fail.....simply because it's easiest to get to.

This particular spot is the one that, by design, is most in danger of being infiltrated by dust, dirt, water etc being thrown up off the rear tire......plus, if you believe many posts here and elsewhere, is for some reason sadly bereft of adequate lube when it leaves the factory.

If you've ever removed your rear wheel......you'll know what I'm talking about. If you've NEVER removed your rear wheel.......it's high time you did. Especially if your bike has over 10K miles on it....or it's time for a new tire. DO have a look at these splines and grease them up well before re-assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha V-Star Rear Wheel Assembly.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2132  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode