Brake Pad Life Span - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Smile Brake Pad Life Span

Hello to all, new to forum and new to street crusier but I learned if you have questions, get on a forum and ask the experts. Recently bought a 05 1100 V Star with 10K on it and wondered what the approximate life span of the brake pads would be? Also are the pads equiptment with cherpers to tell you when they are needing replaced or do you just need to pull them and check? Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Brake life

I don't know that anyone can tell you an average, it would be as varied as the number of riders, how do you ride, where do you ride, how do you brake? What quality pads were used? You don't need to pull them to look, you can see the pads against the rotor. I had a bike that I changed the front pads @ 30000, the back had shoes and at 45000 it still had maybe a third of the meat left. It really all depends. They are very easy to change yourself and don't cost all that much(if you do it yourself). The chirpers, I do not know, never been that far. Others maybe can tell you about that. Have fun and ride safe. (EDIT: Sugar Bear is not an expert. )

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 05-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Kind of out in left field here, been trying to see pads and can't get a good look at them. As you said more varables than you can shake a stick at with pad wear and since I'm unsure of bikes history a simple pull and look will proably be best. I have been looking for an excuse to work on it ever since I bought it and couldn't find one until now. Wife says I'm going to rub the paint off of it, so checking the pads will give the paint and crome a rest.
Thanks for the reply Suger Bear, keep your balance and be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Brake pads

See if this magazine article helps.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...ion/index.html

On my Liner there is a grove cut between the two halves of the pads. If this grove is still there the pads are OK.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile Brake Pads

Thanks for the info Linerdave: the mag artical answered a lot of questions I had, the process of changing pads looks to be simular to all other disk brakes I have replaced from dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and every kind of car and truck I have owned in the past. With 10k miles and the best I can see there is about 1/8 inch of pad left on outer pad, with no visialble grove or wear indictors { or just not looking at the right place} for my peace of mind I think I'll change them out. With the price of EBC pads less than $40 for both front and back I'll call it cheap insurance, and I'll have an indicator of how long they will last on this bike. Seams a subscription to Motorcycle Crusier Mag may be a good investment also. Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 AM

I know this is an old old thread but I'm hoping someone sees this. I'm going to change my front pads because the dealer said I only had 10% remaining. He says that is about 1,000 miles. I have 15,500 on it now. Sounds reasonable. My question is what are EBC pads?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

I just got EBC double H for mine. EBC are one of the better aftermarket MFG for pads and shoes. For me I am going to have to brake sooner and more engine braking to get more life. I picked up the bike used and it has 34,000 K now and I think I just removed the stock pads.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

EBC pads must be by far the most popular because i have difficulty even finding another brand of pad. found an article that suggests putting a stronger 'bite' pad on the front wheel and less on the rear wheel to give you more braking power without too much risk of locking up rear wheel. i plan on putting on EBC sintered double H on front and EBC kevlar on rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode