Stock exhaust compatability?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Question Stock exhaust compatability??

I had an unfortunate experience with my show room condition 2006 V-Star 1100 Classic. It decided to role off the back of my utility trailer without my help. Anyway, my mufflers are no longer showroom. Each one has a dent and several deep scratches. I have a friend who offered me his stock mufflers for free. He owns a 2005 V-Star Classic. My part no. is 5YS-14710-00-00 and his is 5EL-14710-50-00.

Does anyone know if a 2005 muffler will work on the 2006 machine? The pipes look identical. The only difference I can think of might be in the baffeling and back pressure.

Last edited by rwblake; 05-04-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwblake View Post
I had an unfortunate experience with my show room condition 2006 V-Star 1100 Classic. It decided to role off the back of my utility trailer without my help. Anyway, my mufflers are no longer showroom. Each one has a dent and several deep scratches. I have a friend who offered me his stock mufflers for free. He owns a 2005 V-Star Classic. My part no. is 5YS-14710-00-00 and his is 5EL-14710-50-00.

Does anyone know if a 2005 muffler will work on the 2006 machine? The pipes look identical. The only difference I can think of might be in the baffeling and back pressure.
From what little I know, Yamaha sure didn't change much other than minor cosmetic changes for a while on the V-star 1100, I would feel very ok putting 05 or 07 pipes on my 06 1100, others know much more than I on the tech end, but Sugar Bear would go for it.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Catalectic converter

I think 06 is the year they changed to a catalectic converter in the front of the muffler.

Can't tell you if there is any other differance.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM

yeah your 06 has a cat while the 05 does not. I dont know if their is any other difference though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Talked to the dealer service guys

I called all the local Yamaha dealer service departments to ask if not having a catiletic converter in the muffler would matter. I got mixed responses. Some said they didn't think there would be any significant difference, one said I might have to re-jet and tune the carb because there might be less back pressure, another said just do it and see how it runs, while one told me he just didn't know.

I guess I'll keep looking for a pair of used 06-08 mufflers from someone who put on after market pipes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 09:12 PM

some bike shops wont really want to mess with exhaust unless they rejet, i am experiencing this now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode