Brake Pads - Sintered Metal or Organic? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Brake Pads - Sintered Metal or Organic?

The front pads on my 99 VStar 650 are squeaky. I'm not sure what the previous owner did, I'm guessing the pads weren't changed at all.

I figured that I would change the brake pads to see if this would help. While doing my searching, I came across organic pads and sintered metal pads. I found online that sintered metal pads are becoming more prevalent with the stock OEMs.

What is everyone riding with here? Should I go with sintered metal or organic? I'm leaning towards the sintered side since there will be better braking performance; I am aware that the pads will eat through my rotors a little quicker though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Food for thought. I went with the EBC Non Asbestos Organic Brake Pads. I get about 13000 miles on a set of fronts commuting to work, mostly city riding. I replaced my rotors at 60000 due to warpage, plus they were getting thin.
hope this helps.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaIsLife View Post
The front pads on my 99 VStar 650 are squeaky. I'm not sure what the previous owner did, I'm guessing the pads weren't changed at all.

I figured that I would change the brake pads to see if this would help. While doing my searching, I came across organic pads and sintered metal pads. I found online that sintered metal pads are becoming more prevalent with the stock OEMs.

What is everyone riding with here? Should I go with sintered metal or organic? I'm leaning towards the sintered side since there will be better braking performance; I am aware that the pads will eat through my rotors a little quicker though.
This don't have direct response to your question since I don't know if your pads are wore out or not, but as a tidbit dirty pads i.e. dust ect, will make them squeak too. I go with Doug on the non-asbestos pads, just me there. Ride safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 PM

PizzaIsLife, for some reason these front brakes have a tendency to squeak. I have an 07 and the fronts have squeaked since day 1. I've talked to people that claim it's the rubber brake lines and that changing to steel fixed the problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Usually the squeaking/squealing is caused by the brake pads needing lubrication on the backside. Go to Autozone or the like and get some brake grease for the metal to metal on the backside of the brake pad. Make sure you don't get any on the front.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM

I go with DMTJOY on this one.

I went to the same EBC brake pads. The FA88-HH

They last a bit longer and like DMTJOY, my rotor was starting to warp and I thought the harder metallic pads would straighten out the rotor.

I get about 10K out of my Dunlop tires so I just replace the pads when I replace the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode