950 Tourer --- Battery or Starter Problem - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

950 Tourer --- Battery or Starter Problem

Just got a new '09 950 Tourer and love it. Only about 300 km on the bike and I was away for a week. When I returned today and was going out for a ride, the battery was dead so I had to charge it. It seemed to take a quick charge in only about an hour and then worked fine. Not sure what would have happened, as the key was not in the machine while I was away so nothing could be left on. The diagnostics test worked fine when I inserted the key and turned it but it would not fire up prior to a charge. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Battery

Tobiquer,

No real idea here but a couple of thoughts. One would not think a one year old battery would be bad but you never know. Can you check it with a volt meter? With the key off and setting for a while the battery should measure around 12.7 If not battery is suspect. When strarted and running long enough to charge the battery it should measure around 14 volts. If not charging system is suspect.

some other thoughts, you bought the bike used, so could someone have installed an accessory that draws current with the key off? Would it be possible you had enought accessories on and maybe ran slow last ride not charging the battery? I believe the generator is 33 amps at 5,000 RPM. If you ran at half RPM with lots of stuff on maybe you did not charge the battery.

Guess you will know next time it sits. Good luck.

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Tobiquer,

No real idea here but a couple of thoughts. One would not think a one year old battery would be bad but you never know. Can you check it with a volt meter? With the key off and setting for a while the battery should measure around 12.7 If not battery is suspect. When strarted and running long enough to charge the battery it should measure around 14 volts. If not charging system is suspect.

some other thoughts, you bought the bike used, so could someone have installed an accessory that draws current with the key off? Would it be possible you had enought accessories on and maybe ran slow last ride not charging the battery? I believe the generator is 33 amps at 5,000 RPM. If you ran at half RPM with lots of stuff on maybe you did not charge the battery.

Guess you will know next time it sits. Good luck.

Dave
Thanks Dave --- I'm going to check all this out with the dealer on Monday. The bike is actually brand new (300 km = about 180 miles on odometer) and I sure don't want this to be a regular happening.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:59 PM

starting problem

This is going to sound elementary but are you sure you had the side stand up and the trans. in neutral? You can have the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in but if that side stand is down you can hit that button and nothing will happen. The ONLY reason I mention that is because if the battery was low enough not to start it, it should have taken more than an hour.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Garage
I had the same issue after 2 months of being an owner of the 950. I took it back to the dealer 3 times as it would not start unless fresh off the charger. They replaced the battery and no problems since, even with the extras hooked up. It might be that one cell of the battery is dead so the electronics work but it won't start the bike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM

Ignition switch

I had the same problem. It turned out that I had turned the key too far off. I was putting it to steering lock, but one extra click activates a parking light which left the tail light on all night and a very flat battery in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode