hellcat on a V Star 650 Custom - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

hellcat on a V Star 650 Custom

Just got my V Star a few weeks ago and am loving it. Only thing is the freeway riding, I feel like a sail - all that wind pounding my chest takes the fun out of it. Fortunately, I'm mainly doing the local foothills at speed of 50 max.

Anyway, I bought a Memphis Shades Hellcat and took it out today for the first time. Before, "head buffeting" was an alien concept. Now I get it. And it seems to start as early as 35mph and gets worse from there. I tried four different positions, at the limits of the adjustments, and could not come close to eliminating it. Maybe I'm too tall at 5'10", I don't know.

Would it be better to angle it sharply (45 degrees) towards the rider, or a more upright position? And how close to the headlight should it be? I've seen recommendations of 3" above headlight. That seems unlikely, and at any rate, hard to do with the hardware that came with it.

Anyone try a Hellcat on a 650?

Btw, before buying, I read hundreds of hellcat reviews (yes, hundreds!) on the hog forum, and although a few mention the problem I'm experiencing, most people seem to love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Well today I got it into a position where the buffeting is tolerable, and I'm getting some benefit from the shield. I've got it cranked back at a pretty steep angle towards me. There's definitely less pressure on my chest with it. It was cold and windy today so not the best conditions to be on a bike anyway.

I'm getting a different helmet next week, which may be a bit quieter.

Last edited by bluesjr; 05-16-2010 at 08:19 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM

try adding lowers to your forks...I believe what your feeling is coming up from underneath....

2007 Stratoliner Midnight

Proud to have Served with America's Soldiers!
Always Remember 9/11/01
"The Cost of Freedom Just Went Up"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damquick1 View Post
try adding lowers to your forks...I believe what your feeling is coming up from underneath....
Yep,damquick1 is right on I think, lowers sure fixed all that for me

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damquick1 View Post
lowers? when i google that, i don't get the expected result. What are they?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM

I put a windshield on my 650 custom. I think its about 18". I moved it around to every angle and couldn't get it right. The air just banged everything around. I removed it and a least the air coming at me is smooth. I got a pair of sunglasses with a thin piece of foam around the lens. It keeps the wind from drying out my eyes. I still feel like a parachute on the the freeway.......
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Went out today in some drizzle and cold (for us californians in may!). And I took it on the freeway a bit. This thing is better than naked, but it's not what I hoped. I may take it off on warm days, and just use it for cold weather, or anytime I've got some freeway riding to do.

My verdict (for now) is that it's a reasonable shield, for something small and inexpensive, that doesn't ruin the looks of the Custom (the Classic looks great with a big shield, imo). I'm definitely more comfortable on the freeway with the Hellcat.

'02 V Star 650 Custom
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjr View Post
lowers? when i google that, i don't get the expected result. What are they?
If you go to Memphis shades website it will show you what they are. I put some on my Triumph and they make a big difference in what wind hits you and where. The do have to be adjusted though to get them right.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijoli View Post
If you go to Memphis shades website it will show you what they are.
Could not find the d-mned things. Not a great website. I am however talking with their customer support about the buffeting.

Took some photos. What do you guys think of the setup?
It's working pretty well, at least acceptable. I will keep fiddling.

'02 V Star 650 Custom
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 05:19 AM

That honestly looks silly. It needs to be way more vertical than that to do anything properly. The screen should not be tilted back at more of an angle than the forks. It seems to be way to high over the head lamp as well.

I agree their site is horrible.

Look at this picture of lowers:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...indshield.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode