Downshift question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Downshift question

I recently picked up a '02 vStar 1100 Custom and it's a great bile all around, very happy except one thing makes me worry a bit.

When I downshift, I usually give the throttle a little "burp" in order to match the RPM's to the tranny so things engage a little smoother (less jerking) and every once and a while when I am downshifting and go to burp the throttle I hear a quick pop in the airbox and this afternoon it actually stalled out the engine while going down a hill (it started up no problem as I was coasting down).

Any ideas? Could it be the AIS? The bike has 14,000kms (about 7k miles) on it. It's never an issue when I don't downshift but I prefer to slow down that way rather than ride the brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 PM

sounds like the carbs need a little work. could just be out of sync.
The AIS inputs air into the exhaust, would not cause your problem. Try this site for more information.
maybe someone else has had this problem and has an easy solution.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...b-Troubleshoot

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 PM

I think that is more of a v-twin quirk. I too give the throttle a little burp when downshifting and every v-twin I've rode has hicupped on me or worst case stalled. My V65 sabre would hicup but never stall , but that was a v 4. My liner is fuel injected and once in a while it will hicup or stall. I don't think it is anything to worry about unless it does it all the time.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 AM

A properly tuned engine wether a Vtwin or ??? should not hiccup when giving it some throttle. My 1100 has never hiccuped or stalled when giving it some throttle during down shifting.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTJOY View Post
A properly tuned engine wether a Vtwin or ??? should not hiccup when giving it some throttle. My 1100 has never hiccuped or stalled when giving it some throttle during down shifting.
Actually there is another post that addresses this very quirk with the liners. If you flick the throttle too quick you will sometimes get a hicup. I will try and find it and post it. Properly tuned or not everything is subject to having quirks. I'm not saying this should happen all the time, I' just saying it happens. My liner has done it to me twice since i bought it and my liner runs perfect. If I had never experienced that before with several other bikes I might think there is a problem. That being said I am going to have to respectfully disagree.
Jamie

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:18 PM

MY 2005 V-star 1100 Custom does the same thing. It was worse before I had the carburetors synchronized at a very reputable shop; now it only does it two or three times during a typical ride of 25-30 miles. I was told it has someting to do with the AIS. I would love to get rid of it altogether.

2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it. I am going to get it in to the dealer next week forservice (new plugs, timing & valve check) so I'll let you know what they have to say.

As a side note, is syncronizing the carbs part of the regular service from Yamaha?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM

Me too!!!

My 1100 midnight custom did the same thing, and I did a tune up, new air filter, and then put on the new exhaust and had it rejetted by a mechanic. He synced the carbs while doing it and did all the work on a dyno. I still have that lil hiccup once in awhile.
I wouldn't worry about it, its just one of those things that happens. I beleive its better without the AIS. Just my thoughts!
Bob aka busterrm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode