Modifing V star 1100 exhuasts - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Modifing V star 1100 exhuasts

I have just purchased a 2008 V starr 1100 custom and it has standard pipes on it. Is there any one out there that has "modified" standard pipes to get a better sound and increase performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 AM

Here is a DIY mod.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...Q-03.htm#Stock

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM

I had a set of Road Burner pipes put on my 1100 classic and I was pleased with the sound until I started riding with my "Harley" buddies. I had to make sure I started my bike first so I could tell that it was running! So after thinking and thinking I decided to remove my baffles! I couldn't believe the difference! It does pop if I'm sitting at idle and I "goose" the throttle real hard but not all the time. When shifting and decelerating I get no pop like some of the other guys I know that removed theres does. Now all the "Harley" guys want to ride in front of me instead of behind me! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpress View Post
I had a set of Road Burner pipes put on my 1100 classic and I was pleased with the sound until I started riding with my "Harley" buddies. I had to make sure I started my bike first so I could tell that it was running! So after thinking and thinking I decided to remove my baffles! I couldn't believe the difference! It does pop if I'm sitting at idle and I "goose" the throttle real hard but not all the time. When shifting and decelerating I get no pop like some of the other guys I know that removed theres does. Now all the "Harley" guys want to ride in front of me instead of behind me! LOL
I have the same issues with my 1100 and the Shogun Ripsaws.
Gotta love it

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Hey Sneeze, I have a 05 midnight custom, I put on a set of Cobra Dragsters. and I love it. Of course when you mess with the exhaust you will have to think about rejetting the fuel system. I put the Dragsters on myself and had a mechanic do the jetting on the carbs but I love it.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Food for thought

There is a lot of research goes into most if not all aftermarket pipes. All that I have heard sound good. Most but not all modified stock pipes sound good.

Last night at a bike night I saw and heard a modified V Twin that sounded cheap and tinny. The exhaust was loud but did not have that deep powerful sound that a V Twin can have. Most of the bikes like this I have seen are smaller V Twins the muffler has been totally gutted. With nothing left but the shell and no back end.

Something to think about before you get out the hole saw or grinder. You can save a lot of money but is that what you would want?

Dave
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 AM

I agree totally Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
There is a lot of research goes into most if not all aftermarket pipes. All that I have heard sound good. Most but not all modified stock pipes sound good.

Last night at a bike night I saw and heard a modified V Twin that sounded cheap and tinny. The exhaust was loud but did not have that deep powerful sound that a V Twin can have. Most of the bikes like this I have seen are smaller V Twins the muffler has been totally gutted. With nothing left but the shell and no back end.

Something to think about before you get out the hole saw or grinder. You can save a lot of money but is that what you would want?

Dave
I totally agree Dave! I feel if your going to modify the exhaust system, look around even go to bike rallies or rides and listen to all the custom exhaust sytems and find the sound you want. I am not a fan of gutting stock exhaust, but as you said Dave it depends on what you want. I listened to a number of bikes that had my system installed and I love the low powerful sound they have, they are loud but they have a more of a throatie sound. I agree with you Dave, the sound most modified stock pipes have is cheap, they are not designed to run without baffles.
Bob aka busterrm
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM

On a positive note, I took the plunge and decided to remove the baffle out of my 2008 vStar 1100 and I also removed the AIS using the instructions found on this forum, very easy and plugged the ports with 2 10X25mm bolts. In all the videos and instructions I have read about the baffle it was a straight tube?? Funny mine is curved and after I broke it loose (that was a bitch) it came out about 2 inches but something is keeping it from coming all the way out. Any ideas? Even with the baffle sticking out of the end it sounds so much better. It used to sound like a sewing machine on steroids. Now it sounds like it has some balls. How do I get that pipe out???
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 PM

i read some guys DIY and he mentioned the 1100 specifically. and he said you have to attach a set of vise grips to the piece sticking out and hit it hard. apparently the part that is stuck inside right now has an expanded portion. so yeah you gotta keep working it. should come out.

see if this helps!
http://www.vstar1100.com/jack_phelps/vstar/exhaust.htm

2007 vstar 1100 classic
  • helmet lock relocation
  • Yamaha highway bars
  • Pro-one tach
  • 55w 4500k bixenon headlight
  • Baron oil filter relocation kit
  • Bakup drivers fully adjustable backrest
  • exhaust mod
  • Maxair Predator Pro kit 142.5 Front jet\140 Rear
  • Maxair carb solenoid delete
  • Maxair PMS thumb screws 2 1/2 turns out
  • lighted skull carbcover w/LED backlight
  • Metric magic extended brakeline
  • Custom Dynamics 100 LED Genesis II LED Tail Light
  • AIS Removed, replaced with 45 gunshell
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 AM

You do realize that there are cats in the 08 exhaust and removing the ais can cause overheating causing a fire/other problems?
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode