Need Seat Recommendations for V Star 950 Tourer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Need Seat Recommendations for V Star 950 Tourer

Hi Everyone,

I've had my 2010 V Star 950 Tourer for several months now. Although I love it overall, the seat is a major problem for me for long distances. After riding hardly two hours my ass hurts like hell and even falls asleep sometimes. When my cheeks wake up, they have to reintroduce themselves to one another.

Therefore, I want to get a new seat asap. And in a few months I'm going on a 2,000-mile tour, so the new seat is a definite must-have.

Does anyone have recommendations? Ideally, I would get a new rider seat with a BACKREST, a passenger seat, and a sissy bar backrest in one package.

On the stock seat, my reach to the handlebars is about perfect. I can handle having my arms more forward due to a new seat, but they must not be more back at all. I would be stretching too much if they did.

The current seat height is 26 1/2 " I believe, and would like to go no higher, but a small increase is OK.

So if anyone could provide recommendations, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm interested in brand names, sellers who treat customers well, decent price, good looks, etc. All of the usual stuff. I'm also wondering if vinyl is doable to save a few bucks over leather.

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM

I trimmed mine even cut it back to the plastic then lined it with high density carpet pad. It is great and was cheap
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 PM

I love the corbin seat, I put them on every bike. I can burn through a whole tank of gas and stop long enough to fill up and right back on the road. Corbin has a ton of colors and textures to choose from and it doesnt change the price, just order it the way you want it and they will make it to order and ship it to you in about 3 weeks. DO NOT try and save money by going with vinyl.( you wouldnt buy vinyl boots would you?) Leather is the only way to go.

www.corbin.com

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM

ask around locally, I was looking for another seat and found a guy locally that does upholstery work, and also does bike seats. Finding someone like that will save you big dollars.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Thumbs up Ultimate Seats

Ultimate Seats: http://www.ultimateseats.ca/yamaha.html
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:43 AM

Seat question

Well, I have the 950 with the mustang seat & backrest. The backrest works great, but the seat to me is still a bit hard.

I have found that AIR HAWK air seat works the best for me. (Pd$189) although Big#1 Heather maybe can get you a better deal. The drawback to that is that you have to store it in the saddlebag or someone might lift it off your seat.

Another idea is to modify your existing - Mean City Cylce (on internet) can custom fit your seat. They do great work.
Hope you find an answer... but unless you got $700+ for a new seat - I would go a cheap route first.

Star950Donna
Kurakyn iso grips
throttle controller
Big bar engine guards
Yamaha saddle bag guards
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Mustang Seat

I have a 950T and spent the bucks this winter and put a Mustang seat with rider backrest on it. I've been on a couple of 500 mile weekend trips. I do get a couple of hot spots after about 2 hours but by then you need a fuel stop and a streach anyway. Come to a stop light I can stand up for just a minute and it helps a lot. It's a vast improvement over the stock.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMNKYLVE View Post
DO NOT try and save money by going with vinyl.( you wouldnt buy vinyl boots would you?) Leather is the only way to go.
vinyl holds up against the elements better than leather. besides, seats and boots is 2 different outhouses altogether
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:15 PM

I'ld be intersted in your stock seat should you decide to sell it
thanks
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Take a look at the Ride Easy motorcycle seat gel pads. They have a web site. My wife and I use Ride Easy pads and even on long rides, the pain and numbness are gone. Normally my tailbone is first to hurt, but the front seat pad has a tailbone relief. No more tailbone pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode