Possible electrical issue :( - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Possible electrical issue :(

hey there everyone... I just finished up installing a new tail/brake light (led), turn signals (led), did the "j slam" and put the bike back together. It started yesterday and everything worked great (brake and tail light, turn signals) today after getting it all put together, I start the bike up which went great. sat on it and put the kick stand up to take it for a spin, and it shuts off! the bike was in neutral so it shouldn't have done that! now, it won't start... like it won't even attempt to. also, both turn signals now blink at the same time what might be these symptoms be pointing to? a ground grounding out somewhere? pleeease help i wanna go ride so bad! vstar 650 custom btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Look for pinched wire

Iridesoslow,

Dought I will be much help, but sounds funny you put the kickstand up and the bike died. I guess you put it back down and the bike still will not start? Any wires around the stand that could have gotten pinched? When you put the stand up it would have put power to a part of the interlock. Could any of those wires be pinched? Follow the wires from the stand switch.

What you worked on is not related to the starter, ignition, interlocks. So look for a wire that got pinched. Check the fuses. If one is blowen look for a shorted, pinched wire in that circuit. Look at the things you took apart and see if you traped a wire.

Not much help I'm sure but, it has to have something with what you did so go back over it.

Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideSoLow View Post
hey there everyone... I just finished up installing a new tail/brake light (led), turn signals (led), did the "j slam" and put the bike back together. It started yesterday and everything worked great (brake and tail light, turn signals) today after getting it all put together, I start the bike up which went great. sat on it and put the kick stand up to take it for a spin, and it shuts off! the bike was in neutral so it shouldn't have done that! now, it won't start... like it won't even attempt to. also, both turn signals now blink at the same time what might be these symptoms be pointing to? a ground grounding out somewhere? pleeease help i wanna go ride so bad! vstar 650 custom btw
Irideslow,
Go back over evrything that you touched and check both visually and physicaly for any loose connections. Check for any bare wire or connections that might have shorted to ground and sdthen check your fuses. If all is good unplug your tail lights and try to start the bike. I am thinking you jusste have a loose connections or a blown fuse.
Hope this helps.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Both blinkers blinking is a known problem with led turn signals. There are a few ways to get around it.
http://www.customled.com/products/fl...sher_relay.htm or "Genesis Metric Cruiser Diode Kit".
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Did you ever figure this out?

2000 Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom.
Bought it June 10th, 2010 with 6850 miles on it.
Kuryakyn LED kit installed June 14th.
Looking to install a custom air intake, custom rear fender and fatter forks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode