OK I'm an idiot - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

OK I'm an idiot

I work out of town all week, only home on weekends. I get home and uncover my 08 1100 Silverado. I turn on the key, hit the starter button... nothing. I check the neutral switch, side stand, pull in the clutch, still nothing.

While I was gone, my son had his quad in the garage and was doing some work to it, so of course I ASSumed he did something to my bike... the lights were bright, so the battery is fine... hmmm try making sure run / stop button is in the proper position. I flip the button to run, hit the starter button, and she fires right up.... Yes I am an idiot.

I guess I should apologize to my son for thinking he did something to my bike... naaaaa, I'm sure he did something I don't know nor want to know about, so all is good....

How many others out there have had similar situations....

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM

Everytime I try to start my bike and have the same problem you did. Only I don't have any kids to blame it on.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Believe Ol Sugar Bear, we have ALL done some smack me in the forhead silly things!! Some will admit it, some not. I know for sure over the years I sure have done some stuff that is a bit EM BARE ASSIN Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Wink

wow. i'm sure all of us do things like that from time to time, but rarely would admit stuff like this. not like me though. i never do anything like that. ever.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Garage
Try starting it and remembering your gloves are on the counter so you put down the kick stand and wonder why your bike stopped.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Remember FINE-C. Which stands for Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine cut-off switch, Choke and Clutch. Shut down is Thumb, Key, Valve.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Did one better on my old bike.

Was rideng home late at night from work. Was on a long country 2 lane road so i set the throttle lock on and kinda sat back. A few minutes later the bike looses all power and i pull off to the side of the road. Cant get the bike to crank over nothing its dead. The headlights worked but it was hard to check all the wireing without a flash light. finnly i decided to go try to start it again and found my Throttle lock broke and when the throttle closed it swung the piece of the trottle lock and flicked the kill switch. Took my 15 minutes at the side of the road to find that lol (and im a friggen mechanic for a living LOL).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM

I have a question, do any of you actually use the run/stop switch? Back in the day (way too many years ago) when I rode dirt bikes there were a couple of times when I ended up in compromisimg positions and used the kill switch. Like in a shallow ditch with the bike on top of me and the tire eating my leg. On a street bike it just seems to be another thing put there to create "doh" moments for this old fart.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Garage
Sometimes I've used it when I stop to back into a spot, mostly just an extra button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
I have a question, do any of you actually use the run/stop switch? Back in the day (way too many years ago) when I rode dirt bikes there were a couple of times when I ended up in compromisimg positions and used the kill switch. Like in a shallow ditch with the bike on top of me and the tire eating my leg. On a street bike it just seems to be another thing put there to create "doh" moments for this old fart.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
I use mine every time I shut the bike off. When I took the MSF course 20 or so years ago, they taught us to use it all the time to train your brain where it is. That way if you ever do have to use it in an emergency, your thumb automatically goes to it without your brain having to think about it. It does, however, create the occasional "duh"; I usually flip it back to run as soon as the engine stops, but occasionally forget, as I did at work the other day. Then you feel like an idiot when you're sitting on your beautiful shiny bike (that you've been bragging about since you bought it) in front of your co-workers and you can't figure out why it won't start...

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode