Need Luggage Piece Recommendation for Long Tour - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Need Luggage Piece Recommendation for Long Tour

Hello riders,

I am going on my first major tour soon about 2,300 miles, on my v star 950 Tourer. I am looking for a serious luggage piece that would sit on my rear seat and attach well to the sissy bar. Please note that I do not have a rear luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

It should have a way to attach a tent and sleeping bag, in addition to holding enough clothing gear etc. for about six days of riding.

I read the Kuryakin Full Dresser might fit the bill, but still need to check it out.

Can anyone, especially if you've done serious touring, recommend a good bag that fits my criteria? I'd also like to hear any tips or concerns on carrying/attaching this type of bag.

Thanks!
David in Florida

Last edited by DavidY; 05-27-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
Hello riders,

I am going on my first major tour soon about 2,300 miles, on my v star 950 Tourer. I am looking for a serious luggage piece that would sit on my rear seat and attach well to the sissy bar. Please note that I do not have a rear luggage rack behind the sissy bar.

It should have a way to attach a tent and sleeping bag, in addition to holding enough clothing gear etc. for about six days of riding.

I read the Kuryakin Full Dresser might fit the bill, but still need to check it out.

Can anyone, especially if you've done serious touring, recommend a good bag that fits my criteria? I'd also like to hear any tips or concerns on carrying/attaching this type of bag.

Thanks!
David in Florida
Well, I hope some of the other guys can come up with the posts, I couldn't seem to find it, but there was a discussion a while back on this subject with pics and all.I use bags that were shown, served me well, my longest is 9 days, I go various each summer, but most always a week. I turn the bag so it sits where the passenger would sit and use the velcro strap plus bungee and things are great. Have a great ride! Ride Safe

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM

After trying several types I finally settled on the Nelson Rigg system
Lots of room many configurations with original setup. Mine has close to 14000 miles on it and still looks and works great.
http://nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=355.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:06 AM

I've been looking for a large touring bag as well. DMT Joy's suggestion looks good.

I'm happy with the quality of my smaller Kuryakyn bags and Kuryakyn offers the 4140 Touring bag.

This particular site offers the 4140 for $179.00 with free shipping. (I have no affiliation with any of these. Just my observations)

http://www.cycleluggage.com/kuryakyn...Fc5i2godYirhDg

If you compare the specs you'll see this of note:

Kuryakym: Dimensions: 12" Wide Main Compartment (overall Width 18"), 10" Deep x 18" Tall (top compressed), or 25" Tall (top expanded).

Nelson Rig: Main compartment measures: 14"L x 8"W x 18"H Unexpanded, 14"L x 10"W x 18"H Expanded

I noted the Nelson Rig also comes with a separate roll bag for the top

I have no experience with either bag but just thought I'd share the notes I've made.

Last edited by tombstone; 05-30-2010 at 10:09 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Tombstone,
the Nelson rigg also comes with a cover that can be used with the roll bag or to hold a sleeping bag or ??? on the main bag.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:43 AM

RODGER that. Thanks DMTJOY!

You're always so helpful here.... I'm really glad I found this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode