possible gear ratio changes ?? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

possible gear ratio changes ??

I have an 01 v star 1100 classic (with many modifications incl. a Harley fairing, maxx air kit, etc) and have put on 70,000 miles with a rebuild recently. I LOVE this bike and will ride it till the wheels fall off!! but I would like to change the gear ratio to afford a better highway crusing speed/rpm ratio. The bike just seems like it needs one more gear in order to lower the rpms at highway speeds (70-80mph)
Has anybody found a way to lower the gear ratio or to somehow improve highway speed driving. Any ideas would be appreciated as most of my riding is touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM

This seems to be the biggest complaint of the Vstar 1100. I at one time was checking in to this. Didn't want to spend the money on something I was not sure would work.
Pacific Coast Star told me a while back that you could take the final drive from a Venture or Vmax and us it. With out having the drives side by side I cannot say if it will work. I have decided to live with it.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTJOY View Post
This seems to be the biggest complaint of the Vstar 1100. I at one time was checking in to this. Didn't want to spend the money on something I was not sure would work.
Pacific Coast Star told me a while back that you could take the final drive from a Venture or Vmax and us it. With out having the drives side by side I cannot say if it will work. I have decided to live with it.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
I have been trying to find something on this for years and you are the first one to give me a lead, Thanks alot, I will explore the Pacific Coast angle and let you know what I find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Not to douse your hopes any. When I talked to them a couple of years ago, they had all but given up on the idea. They said the had bought Roadstars and didn't need to change the gear ratio.
You can find the final drives on ebay for under $150. I quit trying because I don't have a garage and my girlfriend said no to the dining table. Something about TOO much junk in the boat already Women!!LOL

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Thread revival.... has anyone tried the vmax diff? I love my 11 but it runs too high at 70 just like earlier in the thread.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:08 PM

The 1100 engine is designed to run higher RPM. It is a short stroke motor, not like a Harley or Road Star. That is why the "little" 1100 can usually blow by many of those other "big" bikes at highway speeds even though they are turning slightly higher RPM's. Some engines make their power low in the RPM range (long stroke motors) and some make it on the upper end (short stroke motors). It's like comparing an indy car to a dragster. Both are great, it just depends on where you want the power.

On the 1100 you are turning about 4200 RPM in 5th at 75 MPH. The stock red line is about 6200 so you've got a LOT more left than you might think. With pods and exhaust on mine, I don't mind the long freeway rides at all....

As far as a gear change.....good luck. We've not found anything on the shelf to work and we've dabbled at looking since 1999. If you need to have low RPM's to be happy, the 1100 isn't your bike.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 PM

Garage
I agree with Mick, the max isnt practical. and I havent had an xvz12 or 13 around to do any thinking on it.

That being said, ANYTHING can be done with enough fire and a big enough hammer. or alot of money. you could talk to some of the vmax shops that specialize in the chain conversion and put forth the proposition of that project.

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM

If you haven't done cams and a dyna along with exhaust and pods....it'll probably keep you from thinking about a gear change....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 07-27-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode