2007 1100 custom engine bogging? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2007 1100 custom engine bogging?

This happened to me a while ago, engine would bog down (kind of like when driving a stick and you go from 2nd to 5th) complete lack of power. I would pull in the clutch and it would quit. coast to a parking lot and it wouldn't start until about five min later, it would run fine till it started doing it again. did that about 4 times till I got home - 2 mile stretch. Cleaned out the carb and it ran fine since. Until today. Wife and I stopped at a park off the highway after about and hour riding mixed city/highway (bike ran fine). took a walk in park. Came back, bike wont start. Wait five min, starts reluctantly. drive about 15 miles, bike starts bogging down from 75 to 55 I throttled through it, then it went back to "normal" did that about 7 times on the highway with shorter times between it happening. I bought this bike used with 2650 miles on it. What is going on? Can you adjust the timing on this bike? I tracked fuel issues when this happened the first time it is not fuel related, or it doesn't seem like it. fresh fuel, premium gas-no ethanol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM

There was a post here the past month or so on this same problem, I think. Turned out it was a bad vent in the fuel cap.
The ignition timing is not adjustable, however the cam timing is. Although it does not sound like a timing issue because it does not do it all of the time.
Next time it does this try with a spare key remove the fuel cap, listen for any air escaping (hiss) when the cap is removed.
hope this helps.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM

My first thought was what Doug said, that has been a problem with some, if everything you checked was fine, as you say, that would be a fast easy thing to check. May not be your problem at all, but sometimes the simple things get you going. Check it and, Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Not a venting issue

today same thing happened. bogged down and would not keep going. In town I don't have enough speed to throttle through it, so when I pull in the clutch it dies. Of course this happened on top of one of the busiest bridges in green bay. I took the cap off waited about 5 min and started up fine runs great until about 7-8 min later bogs down & quits when I pull in the clutch. wait 5 min starts runs fine. AAARRRGGG. what gives? should I re-jet the carb? could it be the fuel pump? I have replaced the filter. I think I will break down and take it to the shop next week.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
today same thing happened. bogged down and would not keep going. In town I don't have enough speed to throttle through it, so when I pull in the clutch it dies. Of course this happened on top of one of the busiest bridges in green bay. I took the cap off waited about 5 min and started up fine runs great until about 7-8 min later bogs down & quits when I pull in the clutch. wait 5 min starts runs fine. AAARRRGGG. what gives? should I re-jet the carb? could it be the fuel pump? I have replaced the filter. I think I will break down and take it to the shop next week.
Eh, sounds more like a venting problem than ever, to me. Did you lock the cap back after you took if off? Sounds like after you run her,7-8 min, it becomes fuel starved again, just my thoughts. You would not have to wait anytime if you loosened the cap if it was a vent problem.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I actually ran the bike without the cap (it was in my pocket, fuel level was down enough to not splash) I still had to wait about 5 min after she died till it would start again. a friend of mine (owns a road star 1700) suggested sea foam, use a full can through it. thoughts? comments, concerns? I just like to do the work myself that is why I am hesitant to take it somewhere.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Try the seafoam there should be a ratio on the can so many ozs to gal. Could be stuck floats. Can you hear the ticking of your fuel pump when you turn the key on? Maybe a couple seconds worth. Maybe a bad fuse.

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 AM

Have you checked the fuel lines, pump, petcock for obstructions? Does it do it in reserve? Could also be sucking air in a fuel line, between tank and the fuel pump. Had this problem on a boat took for ever to find.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate the response here on this forum. Yesterday, I put full tank of premium gas w/o ethanol, full can of seafoam. rode home (parked her at work after it died twice, friday) it ran OK. I am not impressed with the smoothness of the motor. the first thing I did when it happened I turned the reserve on. I have took apart the whole fuel system, cleaned carb, new filter, carb cleaner on the petcock. I know there is a vacuum issue with the gas cap, I can hear the hissing when I shut her down. I'm not sure the sea foam will solve my problems, on the way home I thought it could be sticking floats. but with only less than 3K miles on the bike, I don't know. could be 2700 miles of low quality gas till I got it. my bikes get premium treatment, I do hear the fuel pump when I turn it on till I get pressure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Have you ever had the tank off or had it taken off(dealership)? The lines run in and out of the aft side of the tank to the pump. So here's what we know its a starvation problem. It's not vacuum from the tank. It still could be stuck float needles, possibly stuff washed down from manufacture. Does it matter how full the tank is?

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode