Need Taller Windshield Recommendation for V Star 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Need Taller Windshield Recommendation for V Star 950

Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 V Star 950 Tourer, and love it. My only problem (now that I've replaced the torturing seat) is the height of the windshield. I can see over it (preferred) but it is too short. The amount of harsh and extreme wind against my head/helmet at higher speeds is unacceptable. Around 55 mph it's not too bad, but I can hardly stand riding on the interstate at 70 mph or higher. It's no fun, and I avoid it.

My windshield is stock, and measures about 16" measured from just above the headlight to its top. I want to replace it asap.

I still want to be able to see above the shield. At 20" this is possible; it's obvious just by sitting on the bike.

Can a shield only 4" taller lessen considerably the amount of wind I would experience? Have any of you made a similar change? If yes, was the amount of improvement extremely noticeable?

Any other suggestions? Please note I am 5' 9 1/2" tall with a 32" inseam.

Thanks!
David in Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM

I dont know if you can adjust the angle on the w/s but I would try that first since w/s are a bit pricey. If you are dead set on replacing it I would recommend memphis shades FATS or SLIMS series of w/s. I have the 21in fats and I love it. The angle and height are both adjustable, it took a couple of tries but now its perfect and I dont get any more wind than I would riding in a car and having the window down. You can expect to spend about $300 for the w/s and mounting hardware, maybe about $30 more for the quick release hardware. They also have a bunch of colors to choose from.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Garage
Whew, my little windshield let's it hit my chest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Taller Windshield

Really don't want to beat a dead horse here, but why not try raising as much as you can your windshield, and add a set of lowers? You
may be surprised at the difference.Just a thought from Sugar Bear
Could save you some bigger bucks maybe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Yamaha OEM windshields are sold on the Yamaha site under accessories. They sell different length windshields that install on the original brackets, so you only need to buy the shield itself. I know they do for the 1300, I would think it's the same for the 950.

Albert - 09 V-Star 1300 Tourer
www.imagesbyberto.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 2010 V Star 950 Tourer, and love it. My only problem (now that I've replaced the torturing seat) is the height of the windshield. I can see over it (preferred) but it is too short. The amount of harsh and extreme wind against my head/helmet at higher speeds is unacceptable. Around 55 mph it's not too bad, but I can hardly stand riding on the interstate at 70 mph or higher. It's no fun, and I avoid it.

My windshield is stock, and measures about 16" measured from just above the headlight to its top. I want to replace it asap.

I still want to be able to see above the shield. At 20" this is possible; it's obvious just by sitting on the bike.

Can a shield only 4" taller lessen considerably the amount of wind I would experience? Have any of you made a similar change? If yes, was the amount of improvement extremely noticeable?

Any other suggestions? Please note I am 5' 9 1/2" tall with a 32" inseam.

Thanks!
David in Florida

I have the factory medium windshield on my 950T. I'm 5'9" and it fits me perfectly. I still get the buffeting at high speed from under the windshield. You may want to invest in a set of lower shields on the forks if you plan to do a lot of freeway driving. They make a huge difference (and help keep you a little dryer in the rain).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I have the factory medium windshield on my 950T. I'm 5'9" and it fits me perfectly. I still get the buffeting at high speed from under the windshield. You may want to invest in a set of lower shields on the forks if you plan to do a lot of freeway driving. They make a huge difference (and help keep you a little dryer in the rain).
Found this old thread and decided to resurrect it. I agree that the stock WS on the 950 is too short and I could live with it but my wife complains that she gets more wind than she did on any of our previous rides.
Now, granted, she's tall and slim and I'm short and stocky (that's right...stocky...don't start with me) but I've wondered if a taller WS would help her.

Any ideas, especially from you other 950 owners?

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 08:04 AM

I know on my 1300 with a 2 up windshield my wife still got some wind she is tall and i to an short and stocky lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 AM

Garage
I had the same problem, I ordered a replacement windshield from Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics It was a direct replacement that uses the factory mounts, less than $100.
Also angled the windshield back several inches, seemed to helped with the wind flow and definitely helped the looks. Now it is inline with the forks. Changing the angle of the shield back will make it several inches lower so if you do it, do it before ordering a replacement.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweber View Post
I had the same problem, I ordered a replacement windshield from Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics It was a direct replacement that uses the factory mounts, less than $100.
Also angled the windshield back several inches, seemed to helped with the wind flow and definitely helped the looks. Now it is inline with the forks. Changing the angle of the shield back will make it several inches lower so if you do it, do it before ordering a replacement.
Great website recommendation! They have some nice-looking products for bikes and, since I'm a pilot I am interested in their aviation supplies as well.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode