rear shock advice - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

rear shock advice

I've got an '04 1100 Custom and ride double most of the time, with a combined weight of about 360 lb., 200 for me & 160 for riding partner. I'd like to know if any of you have any advice/comments/etc. on improvements to the rear shock and or shock spring? I think it bounces to much and I'm not sure if a heavier spring such as the Eibach spring rated at 800 lb. in. would take care of it or do I need to replace the whole thing, maybe with an aftermarket unit or even an air system. The bike has 25,000 miles on it, don't know what the normal life of the shock is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM

rear shock

I wonder if a shock or shocks are bad? Doesn' seem like it should bounce

Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Garage
I have about the same combined weight with more in the drivers seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM

I have the same year classic and hauling 420 total with 140 on back with no bouncing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments, sounds like I need to check into this closer. I probably should clarify the bounce I was talking about - it only bottoms on a very sharp, quick bump and the bounce is when I go over a quick dip in the road. Does anyone know what the average life of a rear shock on this bike is?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Does it bounce more than once? If so the shock is getting weak. I have 67k on the original shock. I ride 2 up about 1/3 of the time. I did adjust the shock to max.I believe that the aftermarket springs are nothing more than a Roadstar spring. Maybe someone here has more info on that.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Garage
Has anyone heard a clicking or snapping noise when going over bumps? Where the driveway meets the road there's a 2 inch drop and every time I go off it makes a loud almost like a snapping sound but I see nothing broken.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger1971 View Post
Has anyone heard a clicking or snapping noise when going over bumps? Where the driveway meets the road there's a 2 inch drop and every time I go off it makes a loud almost like a snapping sound but I see nothing broken.
Are you dragging your fender (only on a classic). I went off one curb and drug the engine case, but that curb was close to 5 inches high.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonstah View Post
Thanks for your comments, sounds like I need to check into this closer. I probably should clarify the bounce I was talking about - it only bottoms on a very sharp, quick bump and the bounce is when I go over a quick dip in the road. Does anyone know what the average life of a rear shock on this bike is?

according to what I remember in the manual it should be check every 6 months to a year for wear. Now you can adjust the shock to make it firmer its should be set from the factory at the softest setting which is to soft even for 2 people at a combined 300 lbs or one of me.

Now a motor cycle shock is mostly controlled by spring pressure. The inner gas/oil shock is for controlling the rebound rate or how fast the shock will come back up when compressed. Usually you have to go over a huge bump to even get down the the oil/gas in a coil over shock before it has any effect at all. 90% of the time your riding on pure spring.

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

In reply to DMTJOY's question... my bike only bounces once which is why I was leaning toward it being a spring issue. I have had my spring adjusted to the max ever since I started riding 2 up. I had heard 2 or 3 yrs. ago about people swapping their stock vstar spring to one for a bigger Yamaha to take care of problems lime mine but I couldn't remember which bike the spring was made for. Baron's sells one made by Eibach's that is rated at 800 in. lb. compared to 550 in. lb. for the stock piece. Anybody have any experience with this or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode