engine jetting question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

engine jetting question

hi everyone i'm new to this web site, but i had just bought a 2003yamaha v star 1100 classic and i'm not very smart about the motor. so my question is the bike has cobra longboy exhaust on it and i had taken the baffles out because the sound it makes without them is so sweet. now the old owner said he had rejetted it for the pipes but how do i know if taking the baffles out will hurt the motor what signs should i look for or should i not worry about it. thanks for any answers. josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM

It should be alright , but just to be on the safe side run it for a week or so and check your plugs. If it is running too lean your plugs will be a very light color. They will look too clean.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM

I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMNKYLVE View Post
It should be alright , but just to be on the safe side run it for a week or so and check your plugs. If it is running too lean your plugs will be a very light color. They will look too clean.
I agree if its running too lean, they will look white, kinda chalkie looking. What your looking for is a tan to brown color on the plug, and if they are black it means your running too rich. Good luck, I just did a modification on the airbox on my 1100 custom and it lean it out some so I had to close off the old air intake port in favor of the new port I put in the front of the airbox. My plugs were showing signs of chalkie look, so I had to close off the old air intake port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advise i have checked the plugs after a long ride today and they are a tan/gray color what do you think i should do.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:29 AM

I would leave it alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr v View Post
thanks for the advise i have checked the plugs after a long ride today and they are a tan/gray color what do you think i should do.
I would leave it alone for now, but run it for awhile and check them again. The gray color might be a sign that its a little lean, so for now I would run the way it is, and say check them again in 2-3 weeks. if they are the same. I would say leave it alone.
When mine is running okay, it is a tan color.
Bob aka busterrm
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

I'd be really surprised if you didn't need to rejet after removing baffles. You're opening it up to a LOT more airflow.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:02 PM

I would agree, if you remove the baffles you should definetly re-jet.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Your exhaust is gonna get out faster, but your air isn't gonna speed up on the intake side. More Air needs more Fuel, No More Air means no jetting change. If your bike was running well before, it will be fine after removing the baffles. Use a mirror and check to see if your PMS screws have had the brass plugs removed, to point you in the direction of if a jetting change has been made. Most pipe companies want to sell you a jetting kit because its maybe $20 in parts and $75-$100 in cost to you. Do the math. Check out this chart

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverB...-Jetting-Specs

GW
2005 1100 Custom
Speedster Slashdowns
ORKed 5/16" Lines
PODs K&N RU-600s W/PCV
PCS XXX/2 cams
Jetted & PMS Tweaked 20.0/152.5 3.0 turns
AIS Removed/Plugged
Wimmer Machine Custom Oil Cooler & Stash Tube
Pro-1 Tach
Dyna 3000 Step 5/ 6500 redline
TPS Connected
6" Fwd Control Extension W/Boards F&R
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing
Progressive 465 rear
Progressive Springs and GVE front

10,000 Monkeys throwing crap at the glass and this one thinks he's Picasso...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM

From what I have seen of the aftermarket pipes and the baffles installed they are free flowing to begin with. Removing the baffles should not cause much change in the fuel\air mixture that would require a rejet. See how the bike runs before deciding to rejet.

Doug

Live to Ride, Ride to Live, Work to support Life
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM

I did the same with my shotgun pipes, I didn't need a re-jet after removing the baffles because they actually caused no restriction. If you can see all the way through your baffles like mine, I'd say you don't need a re-jet either.

06 V-Star 1100-Trigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode