First ride was great, almost. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

First ride was great, almost.

I bought the 2005 Silverado 1100cc bike. Drove it 1.5 hrs from the dealership home, got my wife and went on another 1 hr drive with another couple. Had a GREAT time, until....

This car pulled out in front of us, not dangerously close but close enough to think "hey f** u buddy" so i pulled out to pass, not realizing it was the start of a hill. Well the car hit the gas hard and made me work for passing, and while doing so the motorcycle pretty much shut down. The engine break hit pretty hard and when i tried giving it gas it didn't register that i was turning the handle. After a mile or so of chugging and sputtering the bike shut off, while i was going 35-40 mph still. The bike wouldn't restart for a few minutes and when it did we only got another 3 miles or so before it started acting up again, this time only doing 55 up the hills. So we pulled over on the side of the road for 15 minutes letting it cool down, it wouldn't restart for the first five. Occasionally i'd try and it made a strange noise "click click click" under the seat. Then it'd start and make a pop sound through the muffler occasionally, so i shut it down for a few more minutes.

What's wrong with this picture? I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow but i signed a no warranty as is contract but still having problems the first 5 hrs out of the shop aint right. I think this is user error and i shouldn't have tried pushing the bike like a crotch rocket (my previous bike). I was really looking forward to enjoying this beautiful machine with my wife cross state lines but if things like this is going to happen while we are cruising uphill at 70-75 on interstate then this is not the bike for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Wow

Sorry to hear of the problems. Glad nothing happened to you or the wife. I don't think running the bike into the rev limiter once or twice would do any permanent damage. The rev limiter is much lower than your sport bike was. Less than 6,000 RPM. I first thought you were into it but problem should have gone away when you let off.

Hope you didn't scare the wife too bad, they tend to stay home if we scare the pants off them. That anger will get you killed.

Guess we will see now if there was an advantage to buying from your dealer.

Dave
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM

To be honest, it sounds like a fuel problem. Are you sure the tank is full? Dealerships are notorious for not filling the tank as part of the delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerdave View Post
Sorry to hear of the problems. Glad nothing happened to you or the wife. I don't think running the bike into the rev limiter once or twice would do any permanent damage. The rev limiter is much lower than your sport bike was. Less than 6,000 RPM. I first thought you were into it but problem should have gone away when you let off.

Hope you didn't scare the wife too bad, they tend to stay home if we scare the pants off them. That anger will get you killed.

Guess we will see now if there was an advantage to buying from your dealer.

Dave
Oh how true( scare the pants off, and gettin you killed)

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM

I'm having exactly the same problem with my (new) '06 1100 Classic. Been in the shop for a week and they can't figure out what the heck is wrong since they can't replicate the problem in only 5-10 minutes of troubleshooting at a time. It's a shame too, since it last shut down when on my wife's first long-distance ride.
I've already changed plugs, fuel filter, drained the gas, and tried the SeaFoam that many have suggested...no fix. I'll let ya know if the shop figures anything out! Good luck.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

User Error.

I didn't want to reply to this but i feel it needs said, just in case any future V-Star shopper has doubts about buying one of these machines: Reserve tank was never switched on, nuff' said.

Once that was fixed, (and my ego kicked) my wife and I had it back out for another 1.5 hr ride, and it was fantastic. No problem whatsoever pulling us up hills and around cars, interstate on the way home no less.

The bike's fantastic i really enjoy being on it, soon to come Cobra exhaust w/ jet kit and oil filter relocation. Then i'm never getting off!

2 minor complaints that i hope are easy fixes.

1) Stock seat- just a bit uncomfortable, that 1 hr mark hits and my butts feeling it.
2) Headlight is really weak. Maybe i just need a new bulb but also I can't pivot it up at all the light is mounted to the bike so i can only see maybe 10-15 ft in front of me, not a good deal when driving in heavily deer populated areas where i live. I guess that's just dumb whether you have bright lights on or not.

Bring on summer!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

thx guys, stupid newbie mistake but hey i've never had a bike tank w/ a reserve switch. And now i know (told the wife the carberator had water in it, must've been bad gas) lol shhhh.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Don't feel bad one of the 1st trips with the wife, I had to hit the reserve tank. At that time I was unable to flip the switch while riding. I had to pull of the highway, stop along the side of the road, flip the switch, and get her restarted.. Now after owning it or a while, its no problem reaching down and flipping over to reserve, in fact Iím able to do it without her knowing. The only problem is eve time we go for a ride, I get the "Did you fill up with gas? Are we going to run out of gas, again ?" Of course she gets the standard answer, Yes dear...."

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Garage
Yep, the reserve tank switch was really tight on my first bike so you almost had to stop to turn it over, makes one really pay attention to the mileage so you don't have to hit the reserve near as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprovenzano View Post
Don't feel bad one of the 1st trips with the wife, I had to hit the reserve tank. At that time I was unable to flip the switch while riding. I had to pull of the highway, stop along the side of the road, flip the switch, and get her restarted.. Now after owning it or a while, its no problem reaching down and flipping over to reserve, in fact Iím able to do it without her knowing. The only problem is eve time we go for a ride, I get the "Did you fill up with gas? Are we going to run out of gas, again ?" Of course she gets the standard answer, Yes dear...."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

why isn't there a fuel gauge on the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode