Inflate and seal - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Inflate and seal

I'm planning a long trip and was wondering about carrying a can of Inflate and Seal with with for the "Just in case" flat tire. Nothing on the can says anything about using it for motorbike tires. Has anyone used it? Does any one recommend it or should I try something else?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 PM

I have used "green slime" in the past without any issues, that way it just wont go flat. The one drawback of green slime is it makes for a messy tire change, but for the purpose of not getting a flat it works great. I never had any negative issues with vibration or handling.
stratsurvivor likes this.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950 Touring View Post
I'm planning a long trip and was wondering about carrying a can of Inflate and Seal with with for the "Just in case" flat tire. Nothing on the can says anything about using it for motorbike tires. Has anyone used it? Does any one recommend it or should I try something else?

Thanks
I always carry a plug kit for tubeless, Have used like"Fix a Flat" on other stuff, but on a bike I would consider all the quick fixes very temperary,worked for me, till the next shop. Just me. Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM

I don't really understand this stuff, have never seen it used. Is slime and the like for tubeless tyres or are their variants you can use for a tube tyre just to be able to get you back to town where you can make a tyre change?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 08:59 PM

Tire guy

You can buy a tire plug kit and a C O 2 inflater. If you use the Fix a flat stuff your tire guy will hate you. They don't take up much room.

Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1414 View Post
I don't really understand this stuff, have never seen it used. Is slime and the like for tubeless tyres or are their variants you can use for a tube tyre just to be able to get you back to town where you can make a tyre change?
If you've got tubed you're just out of luck if you get a flat. Fix-a-flat or slime won't do anything for that.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
If you've got tubed you're just out of luck if you get a flat. Fix-a-flat or slime won't do anything for that.
Okay, thanks for that. Might have to look at sealing the rims then so I can run tubeless, ah yes yet another mod for the growing list.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM

I have seen people that have done that, but it's some work to get a good seal.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 12:41 PM

About 25 years ago, my grandfather used one of the products in his Kawasaki. The bike has been sitting in his garage for about 20 years, but the tube still holds air. In fact, even when we REMOVED THE VALVE STEM a couple years ago we couldn't get the air out of the tire.

I might use it if I was desperate, but it would have to be pretty close to life and death and/or with the assumption that I would throw away the tube/tire as part of the permanant repair.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 PM

I've used it in my car before when I really needed to. Nothing wrong with keeping a can in a saddlebag for an emergency. It's better than being stranded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode